Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soft onions  (Read 7070 times)

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
soft onions
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:31:24 pm »
hi

i've got various types of onions growing in my garden, and i had read that you should keep watering them until august and then not water so that they mature properly....but i am now worried i may have watered when i shouldn't have done as i've noticed today that some of the onions have gone soft in the ground, but they were hard when i planted them as sets.  Any opinions please as to whether it is normal for them to go soft as part of the growing process or have they started to rot?  anything i should do or will the soft ones be a lost cause?  how often are others watering theirs?  in the same bed i've got garlic growing too - and was under the impression garlic and onions needed regular water to swell up?  not grown either before and hoping i don't lose the lot!

thanks L

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
Re: soft onions
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 01:53:14 pm »
if garlic needs loads of water im screwed, was wondering why they were still so small planted the start of nov.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:43 am »
 Watering is critical when growing onions. Water slowly and deeply to produce healthy onions. Onions should receive about an inch of water per week slightly more in sandy soils.

Excessive watering could easily lead to rot and fungus particularly if your onions are not planted in a sunny area.

you should mulch around onions  to retain water - rotted manure would be good, however, bulbs should not be covered, they should be exposed to the sun. a liquid fertiliser with plenty nitrogen should be added occasionally.

there are a couple of diseases that can affect onions, but think these are for more mature onions rather than sets that have not long been planted

wee snip on diseases......

Diseases of Onions

There are many diseases that can attack onions but the major ones are Onion Blast, a disease of the foliage, Onion Neck Rot and Bacterial Soft Rot. The latter two diseases occur on the bulbs and are important in mature onions for storage.

Onion Blast is a fungus that occurs rapidly, devastating the foliage, hence the name "blast."

Onion Neck Rot is a softening of the scales which usually begins at the neck but occasionally at a wound.

There is a definite margin between the healthy and diseased tissue. If the neck is soft and spongy, then in all probability the bulb is infected with Neck Rot.

Handling of the onions is the most important control. Follow the directions on harvesting and curing discussed later in the bulletin. It is important that the neck tissue be dried out very promptly which will check the growth of the fungus permanently.

Bacterial Soft Rot

Bacterial Soft Rot usually starts at the neck of the bulb but, unlike Neck Rot, progresses down one or more scales. An offensive sulfurous odor is given off by the rotting bulb.

Care of handling helps prevent the rot from occurring. The organism causing Bacterial Soft Rot enters through a wound and moist conditions encourage its growth. The Onion Maggot, both adult and larva, is an important factor in causing wounds for the infection to enter the bulb. The insect also carries the bacteria from plant to plant.

you can also get a similar soft nexk/bulb if eelworm gets to them

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 12:36:10 pm »
onions have only popped up the last couple of weeks do need an inch of water per week now. how is straw for mulch.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS