Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: can anyone reccomend a vet to dis-bud  (Read 2062 times)

wolf1

• Joined Apr 2011
can anyone reccomend a vet to dis-bud
« on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:21 am »
Hi i live in Devon, winkliegh area and want to get my baby goats de-horned but have heard alot of bad stories about vets so would like to use one that has been recommended? also what age do you have it done?

Thanks

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: can anyone reccomend a vet to dis-bud
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 08:10:55 am »
I think Wytsend is in your area Poppysky, if she doesn't answer your post you could try PM her?
I had our kid disbudded at 4 days, when his horn buds were quite prominant, think its within 7 it needs to be done? or I might just be getting muddled with castration  ::)
Our vet did it no problem but I knew he'd done a friends goats last year so I was quite happy to entrust him.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:11:44 am »
Our vet did ours at 5 days and he said it was perfect timing, You have to ring around to find a vet that is up to speed on goats as some of them are not aware that things like some  wormers have to be double the dose of sheep etc, and a lot of medicines are not licenced for goats because the chemical companies cant be arsed with goats, Vets can easily cook the goat's brain if not carefull enough. Try and find a large goat dairy herd near to your location and ask them what practice they use for dehorning as their vet will be more knowledgeable about caprines.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:28:19 am »
Just had another thought..are the British Goat Society allowed to give recommendations or do they have to remain impartial?  We have a local group (Worcester Goat Society) and its invaluable for local information, maybe there's something in Devon/South West?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 06:35:47 pm »
If you know any other local goatkeepers find out who they are using, I don't think BGS has any info on this. However most large/farm animal vets should be able to do it, if you an older vet in the practice she will almost certainly have done in the 80's...

My vet does them on day 4 (at the latest - if the are born on a Tuesday it is actually late on Friday that he does them, rather than go over the weekend) But you should be ok up to a week. Speed is of the essence here.

They actually look quite frightening when they come back with those "holes" on their heads, but horns are dangerous, and if you plan to sell the goats at any time later on horned ones don't have the same value as disbudded ones.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »
Wolfgar  have the best Vet for disbudding......Clare Smith.       She is brilliant , can't sing her praises high enough for efficient disbudding.

Their no is   01647 24232.      You need to sk for Clare tho'

wolf1

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 03:00:54 pm »
Thanks for all the advice very appreciated i am giving wolfgar a ring this afternoon

wolf1

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 05:29:33 pm »
Booked in for tomorrow afternoon at wolfgar thanks again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS