Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: spare milk?  (Read 5391 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: spare milk?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 12:25:17 am »
Ours generally defrosts OK, a couple of bags have gone a bit strange, thick in the bottom, maybe I didn't cool it quick enough?
I sometimes use the microwave to defrost, low power untill it 'softens' a bit, break it up with a fork and let it finish defrosting naturally for about 30mins or in fridge.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 07:32:29 am »
I've put a frozen pint into a jug of warm water before and its been OK or otherwise I leave to defrost in the fridge. Only problems I've had was when I used to freeze my exact soap making measurement of milk into a butter tub and leave it open - it used to get fur on the top so we don't do that now, too many wasted tubs of milk! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:08 am »
I just freeze mine as it comes out of the goats and defrost it overnight - don't ususally have any problems, occasionally the bought in semi-skimmed stuff goes 'bitty'......

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 09:04:55 am »
thanks for all the tips guys  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 11:45:19 pm »
I have found that sometimes it's not the same when defrosted so I warm it to the stage that it's about to start bubbling then cool it quickly by standing the saucepan in a sink of cold water.  That seems to make it better.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 11:40:20 am »
ooh, might try that MGWM, though we've none in the freezer with Heidi the kid being the guts that she is! :goat:
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 12:43:02 am »
ooh, might try that MGWM, though we've none in the freezer with Heidi the kid being the guts that she is! :goat:

Know that feeling.  All my frozen stuff has gone except for one bag and OH is reduced to drinking shop bought cows' milk.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 04:24:10 pm »
poor chap!
And this the man who says he's not into goats?! ;)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS