Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: burning wood chips.  (Read 2875 times)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
burning wood chips.
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:45 pm »
Has anyone ever tried burning woodchips, ie the ones you create while chipping and shredding tree parts too small for logs. I dried some out last week and chucked a pile into the log burner. they did not do much to start with, as i think they still had a high moisture content, so i turned up the airflow. next time i looked the fire was blazing away, really hot. I looked at the chimney outside and sparks were flying out.. oops, I'd set the chimney on fire. just mangaed to get it under control before the boss got home from work. moral of story, introduce new fuels slowly, and clean the flue more often. worked well though and must be a cheap source of heat if done in moderation. ::)

Hardfeather

Re: burning wood chips.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 07:55:26 am »
Strangely enough, I have just acquired a few bags of the same stuff after some local trees were trimmed to accomodate power lines.

I thought about various uses for them, then decided to keep them for winter overnight damping of the fire.

My chimney went up the other day as well, must be the time of year after winter fires, and I saw flames leaping about 12 inches out of the top of the chimney pot at one point. With two young children in the house, and fierce winds outside, I was worried for a while...........

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 09:18:37 am »
I was a bit concerned, to say the least. I still think its worth filling a couple of builders bags with good chips for next winter.

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 09:32:35 am »
hiya all it's down to the wood raisen and can really to bad things to your chimey especially if it is a coal fire you have (wood will burn at a different temperature to coal) so a different treatment is needed for the flume (especially in older houses, i think the near ones allow for this)
linz

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 09:59:40 am »
thanks linz, i will look out for the wood raisens? are they like currants or sultanas. yes it was the resins and soot left in my mucky flue after a winter burning coal and logs every night. I was more worried about the sparks flying out the chimney top setting light to adjacent buildings. sorry to hear your sd problems, can't offer advise, but have two sisters myself ' who in their late forties are still trouble to us . ( both single, sponging of parents, demanding help at all hours, only ever ring when they want something etc.)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS