Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Beekeeping  (Read 7197 times)

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
New to Beekeeping
« on: April 01, 2012, 03:47:41 pm »
We have a new smallholing, and wish to introduce a bee colony, Could anyone please advise me what equipment etc I need to start up, or direct me to a suitable previous post that covers the basics. Many thanks.
a smile a day, keeps the doldrums at bay :-)x

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: New to Beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:49:21 pm »
find your local beekeeping club (look in phone book) they will help you out to get started - just remember that there are lots of ways to keep bees so have a good look around - bye the way what area are you in
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

happy larry

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 10:07:42 pm »
This site might be of use to you mistryer  http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:42:58 am »
 Thanks for that  :thumbsup: anderso, we are in the Dordogne. How bout you?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 11:39:42 am »
Beekeeping is slightly different in France.

Once you have your bees you will need to contact the beekeeping assoc for your region and register as a beekeeper.

Also, in France the usual beehive is a Dadant. To start you off, a swarm will cost appx 80e. It will most likely be on 5 Dadant frames. This is why it is important to have the correct size hive waiting for them. It's a bit early in the year to buy in bees, but look on LeBonCoin in the summer months and you will see swarms advertised.

Alternatively you can try and attract a swarm, but none may take the lure so you may still find yourself without bees - but at least you will have everything ready if you then decide to buy in the bees at a later date.

:bee:

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
Thanks guys - really helpful. I know you can register as wanting to take a swarm, and there is a conservation service that try to find a suitable swarm looking for a new base, if you will. Sometimes they have taken them out of roofs and outbuildings etc. All very interesting.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 10:28:01 am »
I think you need to read up on bees a bit in the meantime, it will help you to understand a bit more about them. A basic but good book is 'Bees at the Bottom of the Garden' and I consider Ted Hoopers book 'A Guide to Bees and Honey' essential reading:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Bees-Honey-Ted-Hooper/dp/1899296042

Also go to your Mairie and have a word, they will point you in the right direction re websites, registering etc.

:bee:

mistryer

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Dordogne, France
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 11:58:04 am »
Thanks OhLaLa  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS