Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roof beam  (Read 3467 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Roof beam
« on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
Was chopping up one of the old woodwormy beams that came out when the roof was done last year. Not til I'd finished chopping did I turn a piece over and see this  :)

So I suppose that was the last time the roof was done. 1655, 1840, 2011.... about right  :)

deepinthewoods

Re: Roof beam
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:12:59 pm »
thats great, i love finding things like that. i restored a window that had been signed and dated on the inside of the box section, 1780 was the date, so i signed and dated it after i finished it. hopefully my work will last as long.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 02:39:45 pm »
That's lovely!

We found that someone had signed the plaster in our living room when we stripped the paper off it says "H.C. Taylor and Bert Brotherton, 16th August 1902"  so they signed it the year the house was built.
Really exciting when you turn something like that up  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 06:18:35 pm »
great stuff.
I met an old carpenter  ( third generation) who said that he often found initials and dates in old houses. He would buy dated timber from Kent ( like hundreds of year old beams reclaimed from barns etc) to use. He used old tools and techniques and would hide a time capsule in his work for other craftsmen. 
It would be great to know how that roof beam of yours was transported then lifted into your house and how many chaps had to work on it.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:47:03 pm »
thats what always gets me about my job, all the original work done by hand, no electric planers, radial armsaws, sanders etc. imagine finishing a ballroom floor with a hand plane, diagonaly one way, then again the other way and then finished with a finishing plane, all on your hands and knees for days. proper hard work. back then, a journeyman would have earnt his respect and it would be well deserved. nowadays a joiner isnt really classed as an aspirational career, cos people just hop down to ikea.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 08:43:08 pm »
The time it must have taken to lay such make and lay such a floor. I hope such skills are not lost and that people will still be prepared to put time into their work.
That said all the carpenters here are "artisans". We have a young English lad making us oak bedroom furniture to match a piece we have. He buys wood by the tree and planes it up himself. The bathroom unit he made has 80 odd handmade joints and looks great. Next he has to turn his hand to repairing our massive barn doors. It was great to visit his workshop and see his workplace.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:57:20 pm »
That's excellent to hear a young lad is producing that sort of quality of work  :thumbsup:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:20 pm »
That's beautiful.

I once went to a housewarming party where the livinjg room walls had been stripped very for papering and we were all asked to write something and sign the walls before they were papered.  Then in years to come, someone else would have fun reading it all.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:03:34 am »
That's beautiful.

I once went to a housewarming party where the livinjg room walls had been stripped very for papering and we were all asked to write something and sign the walls before they were papered.  Then in years to come, someone else would have fun reading it all.

When my husband had to go to Poland for the weekend, I decided to keep the kids entertained by stripping the bedroom walls in one of their bedrooms. once all the paper was off, I let them 'decorate' the chimney wall with marker pens safe in the knowledge that their 'artwork' would be covered up and it kept them happy for hours. They wrote gorgeous messages to future dwellers such as "if you are as lucky as we've been to live in this house, you will be REALLY HAPPY!!!"
Unfortunately (!) its got to the point where their little friends have signed it, including my 10 year olds best friend - a lad who due to his culture won't be staying at school much longer so she'll not see him as much, now I don't have the heart to paint over it  ::) 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:54:05 pm »
Plums, at least you'll be saving money on paint.   ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS