Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Should I have some sheep?  (Read 2927 times)

DavidnChris

Should I have some sheep?
« on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:44 am »
I've got 1.75 acres with a bit fenced off for 2 pigs which are doing well, largely thanks to the info. I've picked up from this forum.
I want to keep the grass down on the field and am considering sheep. However, I don't want to  have sheep all year round.
Is it possible to do the same as I am with the pigs, have some for a period of time, have the slaughtered and then have none. Ideally I don't want any stock in January / February. This is easy with pigs as they have litters all the time so I can drop in and out as needed.
How can it work with sheep? At what point are they weened and at what point would you slaughter them? Orphan lambs are they too much work?
I did post this in another topic but didn't get an answer so had to start it off again.
Thanks for your help

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Should I have some sheep?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:48:30 pm »
Orphan lambs are a lot of work and are not the best lawmomowers (obviously they are on milk for some of the time you have  them and they are not really cost effective by the time you have paid for everything you need.
If you want sheep as lawmowers you could buy a couple of ewe lambs in April at about a year old, graze them through the summer then sell them on in the Autumn to someone who wants to put them in lamb.
Alternatively you could slaughter them in the Autumn but they would be classed as mutton by then.
If someone near you lambs early  you could get lambs from this year when they are weaned but I would not have thought any would be available much before early June.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:53:10 pm »
Sheep prices are very high at the moment but what I would do in your position is this.....

Go to market taking a knowledgable person with you and buy a couple of nice ewes with good quality lambs at foot. This may cost you around £120 or so for a ewe and twins.

They will need worming when you get them home and treating against fly strike. The ewes will give you a good fleece in June at shearing which you could send to someone like me for processing, the lambs will be ready for slaughter in October and you can fill your freezer, sell some to friends and have some lovely lambskin rugs made by sending them to a tannery such as Fenland at Bridgwater in Somerset. You can then sell the ewes in the breeding ewe section in market and if they are good quality and well turned out will make a good price.

Result.....grass is tidy, freezer is full, Xmas pressies for several people in lambskins and felt are done, the excercise has at very least broken even or even made quite a nice little profit to invest in some of the same next year and you can sit in front of the fire in January when us mugs are out feeding their sheep ;D ;D

Seriously this is a very good option.....and fairly easy to do, let me know if I can help
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 08:57:19 pm »
yes fairly expensive alright was at a saleyard on saturday, weight lambs wer going for over the £100 mark,  ewes with lambs for between £120 and £90.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS