Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Broody duck info required  (Read 3672 times)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Broody duck info required
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:49:35 am »
I keep all my ducks in a shed at night time. There is an upstairs platform and obvioulsy the ground floor section. One of my Ayelsbury's has started nest building but I do not have any "nest boxes", should I? Surely if she decides to lay she won't get peace and quiet when the other go in at night, what should I do for her?

Thanks

James

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Broody duck info required
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:33 pm »
In my limited experience i've found that the worst thing to do is to do anything, even adding extra nesting stuff can make a duck go off the boil, as I found to my cost. she just moved out and went elsewhere - didn't see her again til she brought back 5 ducklings

Ian

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 11:42:42 pm »
I must admit I've never seen nesting boxes on the riverbanks up here ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D :&> :&>
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:00:52 pm »
I think if she's ready she will be nesting somewhere protected. Ours last year nested in their house, which was quite crowded overnight, but she didn't seem to mind. Now they have access to the whole garden none wants to be on their own it seems. As yours are in the run it's more likely to happen. I was quite surprised as she didn't sit on the eggs a lot at first. I don't let them nest in the garden as they do have to go in at night. We had pheasants nesting in the garden and they were all taken at some point during the night. So if she wants to nest in the house, you don't need to do anything. Her food and water will be closeby anyway, that's all. Have a quick tidy up in there when she's up and about. I marked the eggs as the others put their eggs with hers and I think she kept on laying herself too, so I removed the fresh ones. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:05:55 pm »
Thanks, she seems to make a nest then get up and leave it - still no eggs either. Don't know if it's a false alarm or not.

The Relic

• Joined Mar 2009
  • County Down
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:43 pm »
with my limited knowledge.  when i cleaned out their house i put the old straw to one side and the fresh inside the house. they waddled in see ive changed the straw then go over to try to nest in the old straw.they would probably stay there also. now it goes straight into compost.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 06:47:41 pm »
Any sign of nesting, James? We've had 2 this spring giving it a go outside. The wee black one and now the Indian Runner. I noticed that one egg was missing and I followed the culprit into her secret place. After hours of racket she left and I could take the egg. I hope that will discourage her after a few days as we can't let them sit in the garden overnight. I do remember from last year that the mum to be did not sit long on the egg during the first few days, she seemed to work herself up to it and it was almost non-stop in the last 2 weeks. Probably has to do with the core temperature of the egg. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 11:53:52 pm »
Total false alarm I'm afraid. She looked like she was going to nest for a day or two but nothing happened. The eggs you gave me are due to hatch on Wednesday next week.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 05:34:02 pm »
Maybe, maybe one or 2 decide to be early - we'll pop in Tuesday then and pick up a box. Sure we can make an out of schedule visit possible once they are born!  It's so exciting! :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 05:51:13 pm »
Kerstin

Ofcourse I will let you know as soon as anything happens and you and the girls can come and see them any time. See you Tuesday anyway.

James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS