Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raspberries in containers????  (Read 3491 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
raspberries in containers????
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »
hi

looking at planting some autumn fruiting raspberries........but was wondering if I can do this in large containers rather than in the ground. Reason being i don't want them popping up everywhere in the garden next year!

thought autumn fruiting would be the easier option - plant, grown, pick, cut down and let it happen again next year

thoughts/advice greatly appreciated

ta

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: raspberries in containers????
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 09:57:31 am »
I tried them in builders dumpy bags, Chris- and also red and black currants.  They took a lot of watering and they haven't been happy.  I'm going to wait and see what they are like this year and if no better plant them out along side the lawn so I can chop any suckers off when I mow it. Hardcore/gravel on the other side.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 10:28:59 am »
Not sure about the rasps question SB, but nice to 'see' you again  ;D
How's Mrs SB and little 'un ?
Karen  :wave:

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 11:18:22 am »
I too grow autumn raspberries...they seem to do better with our long winters!.....I grow mine in a slightly raised bed (all my vege patch has raised beds along the bar of chocolate line) I find it easy to see and remove the unwanted new shoots  from the sides of the bed and keep the line 'fairly' tidy.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:49:16 am »
 I have mine in containers as that is how they were given to me, seem to be happy so far. I do not intend to keep them in there but so far so good.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:08:24 am »
thanks everyone

1st off, mrs SB is grand and little ickle baby SB is just braw too. Not keen on sleeping for any length of time - day or night. Ho hum

looks like it is doable - think i'm gonna build a "trough" out of some scaffold boards i have , that should allow me to get enough muck in to hold water, but prevent them escaping. I have a leaky hose pipe thing, i can put that in the trough as well and give it a wee blast each morning to keep them watered.

will see how it does.

after 2 summers growing nothing and 2 months clearing the garden and rebuilding the raised beds, i'm about ready to go again.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 07:35:55 am »
Good idea
 I planted just 2, but well established, rasps I bought in pots. They fruited very well after about 5 months in the ground. Now after their first winter I have a virtual field of new growth - gob smacked.
A raised bed "raised nice and high will help with mulch and restrict lateral growth. I will just have to run the lawn mower over them if they go belong where I wnt them.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 07:49:40 am »
I bought a potted raspberry a few years ago. It has been potted up into large pot and crops heavily every year  :yum: go for it, you'll not regret it

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS