Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free seeds help?  (Read 3684 times)

Aaron2489

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Dover
  • New to gowing veg, and love IT!
Free seeds help?
« on: March 29, 2012, 07:44:59 pm »
Hello everyone,

Well this is odd me asking this as I'm a young 25 year old male and I have just moved (3 weeks ago) to a big house in the country side. I work from home as a web designer (work is real slow not had anything this year)

I have started building a veg patch I have just made a space in the garden 5m X 5m with more room to grow if needed.

Now I have come to the point where I need some seeds, all I want is seeds to grow some veg so we can eat them. I have just spent all my money on the tools and stuff to make raised beds.

I hope that someone on here can help me.

I look forward to your replies.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 08:38:30 pm by Aaron2489 »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Free seeds help?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »
I have some spare from the loads I got sent from the lovely people on here, so PM me your address and I'll send em your way. :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 09:19:42 pm »
yep - I've got some too. pm me address

Aaron2489

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Dover
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
Thanks guys... this is a big help for my first time!... i cant wait!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:45 pm »
If you can bear being on an email list

www.papasbigtomatochallenge.com  

free tomato seeds!

Aaron2489

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Dover
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »
Thanks Greenerlife!

I have now done this too..

Your a star!

Smalltime

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:58:19 pm »
Or you could buy them online here http://www.vegetableseeds.net/

Aaron2489

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Dover
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:32 pm »
im skint till next month as I spent all my money on all the tools to get the plot built to how I wanted, this is why I  came on here and asked for some help.

Smalltime

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »
Lets see some photos of your work on the plot  :thumbsup:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 07:10:48 pm »
if you go to aldi or lidl, theyre seeds are 39p a pack and theyre good quality, go treat yourself and blow £2. its always worth thinking these things through, its a bit like not being able to afford a car cos youve spent every penny on petrol...  like me.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 07:18:19 pm »
in fact, i remember 15 years ago, when i was a young 25yr old wannabe furniture designer, with 5m2 of patio, filling it with pots and trays and buckets, most nicked from skips and filling them with soil nicked from friends compost heaps and making nighttime raids to the horsey field round the corner to fill up sacks of horse poop.  the first year i only grew lettuce and tomatos, i think i got about 4 tomatos all in all, and one hellishly large, perfect in every way, webbs wonderful lettuce. and that was me hooked. good luck! ;)

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:17:36 pm »
Arron put up a list of the seeds youhave and those you want ..
I have a few to spare . If I can fulfil your list I will , so PM me you address etc as well.

May I suggest you look up square foot gardening where you plant and sow by the square foot ..
That way you don't waste seed because you sow seeds in a pattern of individual seeds in each square foot.and it's easy to make sucessional sowings .
For exanple in one sq ft I have nine beetroot seeds peeking through , another has 16 carrots coming through .

There is no thinning so very little waste and there is less chance of cabbage & carrot root fly attacks because you dont thin  ,same with onions ' nine per square .

With the patterns you bung a label in and know how many things shoud be in that square and what pattern they shoukd be in so everything else in the square is usually a weed. , snip it off with scissors , don't pull it out and disturb the square which will cause new weeds to cone up.

I'm using the  " All New Square Foot Gardening " 2006 edition by Mel Barthomew method which bis a bit more expensive to set up but does appear to be most effective . I've got over 200 sq feet  in beds of three x three set up & running . But i am a special case as it has all been built specially for me as I'm now disabled and cant do the heavy work of a normal row garden at ground level .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS