Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hermaphrodite  (Read 1969 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
hermaphrodite
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:37:23 pm »
we have a horned shearling who is quite male in her behaviour and hasn't got in lamb, she was a twin with a polled ram lamb......ouessant ewes are polled and rams are horned. anyone else come across this??
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: hermaphrodite
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 06:17:08 pm »
well it does sound as if something odd has gone on. Ouessants rarely twin so that in its self is out of the norm. There are some ram lambs born polled and certainly the one I had was also slightly hermaphrodite I bought him as a castrate knowing he was polled ( 5 months no horn growth) purely for my own interests of study.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:17:33 pm »
Interesting....can she be scanned or checked to see if her innards are present and correct?
I know there are "freemartins" in cattle but never heard of an equivalent in sheep. If her twin was very butch  ::) I'd guess at very high levels of testosterone floating around during gestation, but it doesn't sound like he's "to blame" really!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:44:57 pm »
We used to get the odd North Country Mule that never bred, and our shearer would pick them out at clipping time, saying, "She's a man!" - jug-ugly head, no udder development whatever.  We kept one or two on to see if he was right - none of them were ever tupped and all were geld.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS