Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Petrol Power Scythe / sickle bar fix needed  (Read 15150 times)

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
Petrol Power Scythe / sickle bar fix needed
« on: September 04, 2023, 12:51:34 pm »
Hi Team,

We have a trusty old SOLO power scythe that I use to cut our meadow every year and tackle long foliage needing cleared.

I started it yesterday and the petrol engine worked perfectly but the sickle blades and wheels are not going when i depress the clutch cable. Does this sound like a clutch issue or transmission ? I have no idea how to go about fixing it and the only reference I can find online is from some hungarian farming forum. My hungarian is not so good.

Any help or pointers much appreciated.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Petrol Power Scythe / sickle bar fix needed
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 01:12:07 pm »
I found a reference to a SOLO 154 in a French farming manual. 3.1 HP petrol powered machine with three cutting disks, if that's it?

Search 'faux SOLO 154 essence'.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 05:46:33 pm »
Giving it more thought. What would fail when it isn't being used? Won't be the transmission because that will break when loaded. If the clutch is actually a 'V' belt being tightened around the pulleys it could just be the belt that has failed or the tensioner wheel seized?

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2023, 11:36:28 am »
Could well be that !

I'll look up that french farming bit. Thanks.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2024, 02:30:38 pm »
Replying in case anyone can help. I have finally tracked down it is a SOLO 522M

A german website does spare parts but unfortunately I dont know whats wrong :(

Anyone know what it may be in terms of the symptoms described ? Wheels dont go and scythe doesnt go except very very slowly sometimes !

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 03:19:41 pm »
I looked that up on the internet and there was an exploded diagram on a 'Motoruf' website: that looks like a mechanical unit (as opposed to hydraulic), and that suggests a mechanical clutch rather than a hydraulic one. That's good news as the hydraulic units are generally harder to repair from what I've heard (lots ov very small bits that are easy to lose on disassembly).

But i couldn't really see a clutch in the diagram (nor engine for that matter) so probably can't help you.

I assume the clutch is a hand lever that you squeeze to engage drive and let go to stop? If so I can only suggest the obvious then, that the clutch has been stood for a while in the disengaged position and it is just sticking:- can you follow the control cable to the clutch and observe any of the mechanism? Does it feel normal when you operate it?

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2024, 09:29:19 am »
Yes that motoruf place is the only site I've ever managed to get spares from. I can see the clutch control cable move the lever on the engine unit but I would have to take the unit off to look and see if this lever is engaging properly inside.

In the exploded diagram on that website the clutch cable is part 50 and 51 and I think this hooks onto 113 but that could be completely wrong. The diagram is not great !

I'll try take apart some of it at the weekend and investigate further. Thanks for the pointers though. Much appreciated.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS