Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Butty' rams  (Read 10426 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
"Butty' rams
« on: March 27, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »
I have a little Gotland ram who was born last year.  He is quite tame but maybe a little too much - he's very handy with his head!  I can go in the paddock with him and he's usually okay but if food is involved he just starts butting everything in sight, including me.  He's a nice looking ram who I hope to put to my Gotland ewes this year, but is this behaviour unacceptable in a ram I plan to keep as a sire for a while?  I'm wondering what he's going to be like once put in with ewes!   What's the best deterrent, apart from a whack on the nose (which doesn't actually work!)?!  My other two rams (Ryeland and Zwartbles) are more amenable.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

Bangbang

Re: "Butty' rams
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 09:42:57 pm »
Our Castlemilk ram lamb is going the same way so we will love to listen to advice on this one - at present I walk backwards from himtill he gets bored!!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:45:06 pm by Bangbang »

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 09:48:33 pm »
I don't know what the general consensus is with my methods on here, but I either tip the buggers up and hold them down for a bit or throw a damp towel over their heads so they can't see. If that doesn't work the freezer is 100% foolproof ;D
I take no chances with them now, 3 fused vertebrae from a ram attack was enough to make me ruthless with rams :sheep:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:53:52 pm »
Mmmmm. Don't get them tame, don't fuss them, don't feed them tidbits. Sadly, they need to be a bit scared of you or else they decide they're the boss and you're part of their flock. I don't think there's really a way to be friends with a tup, it's just how they are.

To remedy the existing situation, you're going to have make him wary of you. Dogs, noise (ladle on metal dustbin lid, lots of shouting), arm waving, empty bucket clattered on head (more noise and indignity than hurt) and probably more than once.

Or yes, tipping them in their bums regularly would reinforce that they're smaller than you!

It's a pain isn't it. My Shetland tup would like to make friends but he was also thinking of butting and after a nasty experience with a Rough tup, I've really backed off my Shetland and save fussing and stuff for the girls. 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:17:52 pm »
Never hit them on the head...or nose...its a challenge like another ram would make....

Take a bit of blue plastic water pipe and swing it a front legs like a golf club....you have to mean it and they must lose their balance.

After that just waving it or tapping it menacingly on your wellie every time you go in the field will work ....but never turn your back....
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:37:43 pm »
I agree - never turn your back - ever.

Funnily enough a way which works with multihorned sheep (may work with others too) is to hold a big stick above your head.  I think it must say 'my horns are very much bigger than yours, so back off'.

If you are female, don't go into a tups field when you are menstruating........

But as others have said, avoid getting tups too friendly in the first place and definitely let them know you are boss.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:50:35 am »
It's a bit of a quandary, I know you shouldn't make a 'friend' of a ram but it makes for a darn sight easier handling if they're not flighty when you need to do sheep maintenance.  He is halter trained but I need to be able to get near him to get the halter on in the first place, which he is quite amenable to.  I do know not to hit them on top of the head as they see this as a challenge, but didn't realise the nose was in the same category ...  :sheep:

No I never turn my back on any of them - even my lovely tempered Ryeland, as one year I was walking across his field when I heard the thundering of hooves and turned round to see Jasper running at me full tilt with his head down!  Strangely he was only ever like that for one particular year, he's never done it again ???.

I will try the blue plastic pipe on the legs and if that doesn't work he's small enough to tip at the moment, and I have five dogs  :D

I don't have to worry about the menstruating bit!  ;D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:24 am »
Walk into the field with one arm straight out in front of you and never, never lose your nerve and turn and run :o They may follow you but will respect your huge "horns" Please don't hit them, they don't deserve that, they don't know what's expected of them. If they are truly dangerous then, I agree, the best place for them is the deep freeze :)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 08:42:27 am »
I don't lose my nerve and run, and I don't willingly hit any animal - but if I'm about to have seven bells butted out of me I reserve the right to defend myself!    ;D

Believe me this little ram would not take any notice of an oustretched arm, he would think I was offering him food  :D (and no I haven't ever hand fed him).

I'll have to size this one up as he grows .. hopefully he'll be manageable

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 09:17:25 am »
Sylvia...rams can be very very dangerous.....but if its a top class pedigree ram the freezer is not the place! I also reserve the right to defend myself having nearly been badly injured by a horned ram weighing in excess of 90kg!
All the rams I have currently are good boys ( I breed for temperament) but I still take a stick and never turn my back on them!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 09:23:15 am »
Our castlemilk ram (lambish) tried to but me yesterday so I got the better of him and gave him a 1min shout to tell him off - it's going to be a battle of wills and like Remy I don't want him so scared I can't get hold of him to do feet etc. I think ours is just growing up and testing the boundaries - like the blue pipe idea and the big horns trick will definitely give those a go
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 11:42:54 am »
I held up my finger at my tup and shouted 'no' very loudly at him - seems to have worked so far  :D he'll come near but not butt me now.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 12:00:02 pm »
We have some very large hampshire down rams and we find after the show season they are very quiet which can become a pain, especially when feeding them.  I also had a ram who was very protective of his girls, and in the old days i used to smack on the nose if they became butty, now i use water.
A water pistol or large syringe filled with water usually does the trick. They hate it if squirted in the face . Your timing has to right and get them when they are putting their heads low to get a butt in, give them a squirt and if you can, aim at the nose.
Has worked for me every time, ram doesn't know where it comes from just that when he goes to butt he gets wet and they hate water up their nose.
Did have one very bad boy who i had to actually tip a bucket of water over his head to get him to respect me, now he stands back and lets me through.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:27 pm »
The bucket of water works with fighting dogs too  :dog: :pug:  8)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:57:33 pm »
I'll add the water trick to my arsenal - although I have to say it didn't work with my dogs - when my GSD look a dislike to my elderly collie - ended up with 2 wet dogs, wet kitchen floor and bite through my hand - I did what your always told not to do and paid the price but I had to get my young GSD off my old collie. After that they never met again and with a strict routine Tess the collie lived happily for a further 6 years
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS