Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raw wool for sale  (Read 2800 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
raw wool for sale
« on: March 26, 2012, 04:20:58 pm »
We are just starting to shear our flock. We have gfd: one ram, two ewes and two shearling ewes, leicester longwool: one dark brown ewe and two shearling wethers brown with some white and 7 shetlands. I am happy to take offers and I am happy to do the first washing if requested. We are in oxfordshire.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Re: raw wool for sale
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:52 pm »
We are just starting to shear our flock.

That's early!

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 04:26:27 pm »
They may need some woolly jumpers at night time - it was down to 1 degree round here this morning - brrrr  :o

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 04:27:38 pm »
I would say that is way to early ???
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »
Our ram was massively hot where we are. Panting and very uncomfortable. Our wethers are similar. We are leaving all the females for a bit. We have shelters with warm beds for the boys.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 06:46:26 pm »
Let's not forget that wool on sheep helps to keep them cool as well as warm as indicate in this piece which I found in seconds on Google and have cut and pasted an extract.

Wool
Wool protects sheep from extreme heat as well as extreme cold.  A thick fleece is mostly immune to temperature changes due to its insulating properties.  According to research, sheep with a one-inch fleece are more comfortable than sheep with less wool, as wool fibers dissipate heat more rapidly.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 07:02:03 pm »
I'm planning on shearing in the next couple of weeks too (All 14 month old ewe lambs/shearlings). I Hear the cons but there are pros too - mine are being eaten alive with biting lice, despite vet treatment with spot on about 4 weeks ago... their best advice now is that an anti lice treatment will work better on a sheared sheep so plan to shear ASAP and treat after that (they say it will work better).  I too will make sure there is lots of shelter (including the 'indoors' a polytunnel that they are familiar with and get fed in in the winter) and extra food.  Also hoping it will help with the prevention of early flystrike too if this warm weather continues.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 09:11:35 pm »
My first flock of Shetland crosses used to be sheared in April, they were uncomfortably hot if we had nice weather, and I figured if they can manage A Shetland winter in fleece they can manage a Somerset spring with their coats off.
Always made sure they had shelter though. If it got too chilly the bonus was they would head for shelter and take their lambs with them ;D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS