Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please  (Read 1830 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
Advice please
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:05:10 am »
I have just moved to a smallholding having worked with sheep in the past I have my eye on a neighbours last years ram lambs, Scottish black face and the perfect fleece for my rug making. He mentioned that they go to slaughter in August and I would like to see if I could buy them from  him?
If so, and they are not wethers, can they be 'done' at this age? and how much considering the market would I be expected to pay.
I have the land for them and as he creep feeds daily they seem pretty tame considering the breed.
Hope some one can help?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:18:35 am »
Castration is usally done in the first couple of days.

Have a chat with the owner and see if he knows of (or has) something suitable, or buy your wethers from him from this years arrivals.

:farmer:  :sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Advice please
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 11:04:34 am »
Hi Chris  :wave:
You could buy this years fleeces from him at shearing to get started with the weaving and also get him to castrate some ram lambs at birth for you to rear for next year.  For a change of colour, how about some Hebridean wethers too?  Their double fleece makes great rugs  :sheep:

To get year-olds castrated would mean either surgery by the vet, or using a burdizzo which crushes the spermatic chord - ouch  :o

(I will contact you directly about the other thing - sorry to be tardy)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS