Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame ram  (Read 2621 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Lame ram
« on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:09 pm »
My fabby stock ram Jasper, a pedigree Ryeland, has been permanently lame for a while now.  Some of mine do get footy every now and again and usually come sound, but Jasper hasn't.  He's got no sign of any foot problems and I'm wondering if one of the horses kicked him (he and his harem were in with them for a while over winter).

I've left off putting my other two rams in with him due to this, in case he can't fend them off.  If he doesn't come right should I have him PTS, or could he potentially still serve ewes?  He's been such a wonderful and lovely tempered ram, producing some cracking commercial lambs, I'd be very sorry to see him go.
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Lame ram
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:16:35 pm »
How old is he? I'm presuming that Jasper being a pedigree registered Ryeland was born and registered in the year of the flock book letter J.
Is he just lame on one or more legs and which legs i.e front or back.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS