Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambed triplets early  (Read 1994 times)

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
lambed triplets early
« on: March 23, 2012, 12:41:55 am »
hi all ,
          one of our cross hoggs has just lambed triplets early about 1 week sadly 2 were dead abd 1 remains she is very week been off food and had to assist the birth we have lamb in house by the fire keeping warm and given 100 ml colostrum and i have milked mothers colostrum and fed some of that too, was going to try and put lamb back to mother tomorrow ( will ewwe rteject) and if so how do i deal with possible masstitis
 i need all the advice going thanks

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: lambed triplets early
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:00:30 am »
I'd try to get the lamb back to his mum and that'll be easier if he's been drinking her colostrum/milk.
You may need to fasten her so she can't headbutt him to begin with, until he's fed a few times. Putting him in something high sided so she can sniff him inbetween feeds but can't hurt him, can also help.

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 11:41:59 am »
Thanks for that lamb still very weak not wanting to stand although getting mums colostrom

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 12:11:16 pm »
Keeping him warm and fed is the critical thing, it gives him the best chance. Have you got a hot water bottle he can lie on, while you're persuading his mum she likes him? Of course, once you can get him snuggled up to her, he'll be as warm as toast  :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 12:13:03 pm by jaykay »

mark@farmhouse

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 09:16:18 pm »
Thanks got that spoke to vet who reckons mother too weak and just to bottle feed now kids have a pet

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS