Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polycarbonate sheeting  (Read 3751 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Polycarbonate sheeting
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:36:15 am »
i'm looking into making some cold frames/mini greenhouses using some polycarbonate sheeting

Does anyone know if you can drill holes in it (so i can fix it to a wooden frame using a screw a washer)

or would it crack?

HappyHippy

Re: Polycarbonate sheeting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 11:40:07 am »
Hi,
If you're talking about the flexible roofing sheets they should be fine to drill. I've done it in the past (and perspex too) I always start with a small drill bit maybe 2 or 3 mm in diameter just to get through it, then go back with another drill bit the size I need - just do it gently and not too fast.
Good luck  ;D

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »
i wouldn't say they are particularly flexible - it's the stuff that you can use to glaze greenhouses

so it's quite rigid

I'm sure you are ok to drill it, like you say, start with a small drill and work up - but just wanted confirmation that it wasn't one of those plastics that cracks if you try to drill it. I'm gonna go google!!!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »
You could heat a nail up over a camping gas stove,holding it with pliers,and then melt the holes needed. For the "glass" on our cold frame,we used an old shower screen thing that folds back on four sets of hinges.I still have two old sash windows to utilise when I get more wood for the frame bit...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 12:24:55 pm »
Found my answers

http://www.rockwellsheet.com/faqs.asp

yup, should be straightforward enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS