Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame sheep  (Read 2394 times)

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
Lame sheep
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:49:16 pm »
Hi, I've a problem with a Poll Dorset ewe who is lame in a foreleg. I've checked her hooves and trimmed, sprayed etc. The problem seems to be her knee. It doesn't appear to be swollen or hot to the touch but she flinches when you press it.

Is there anything I can do other than let her keep her weight off it and hope it improves?

Haven't yet called the vet, would he be able to give her a cortisone injection perhaps?

Any advice gratefully received.

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: Lame sheep
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:49 pm »
Re-check her hooves it could be a small puncture wound from a thorn or a small stone etc, you'll be surprised what tiny thing can make them go off there feet, infections can rise from the feet up the leg but if there is no swelling or heat in it its doubtful if its her knee. Spray her feet with Teramycin spray and inject her with Teramycin, this way you are fighting the infection if there is one from the inside and outside. Have you checked her temperature? is she an old ewe?

You have to look at it practically, can your vet guarantee he won't just use the trial and error method of multipull injections and call out charges which will cost you a fortune. Always use a Teramycin based spray on her feet its a POM and is the best, the stuff you buy over the counter from you local animal co-op etc is no good at all. If it continues you may well want to look at culling her and replacing her as cull prices are very high at the moment.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS