Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric poultry netting  (Read 7214 times)

funkyduck

• Joined Mar 2009
Electric poultry netting
« on: April 03, 2009, 09:21:41 pm »
Hi everyone,
 :chook:
Do any of you use electric poultry netting? Is it any good?
When I am around I like the chickens to free range but there are times that I go out and would still like them to have plenty of space to roam but be safe.

Thank for any advice

Ruth

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Electric poultry netting
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:50 pm »
Yes I have used it for years  and it is good but you must make sure you never let the battery go flat.

moors

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:51:45 pm »
Is this expensive to buy and does it also help keep the foxes/cats out?

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 02:58:30 pm »
it is expensive, also you need an energiser, mains or battery powered, and maybe earthing rods, power leads and earthing leads. once zapped cats will not go near it again. foxes are cunning and it might be that they work out how to jump the fence, especially if it has low points.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 12:49:50 am »
Got any sources for this - I looked on the internet and the prices are huge.  I'd like to give my birds more space - and grass instead of mud, but don't want my little darlings to be retrieving every minute.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »
Work out the price of rearing and feading chicks then feeding them to POL then then feeding them to lay, the time you put in to have healthy hens, then think about going out there one day and they are all laying their with their heads bitten off..............then restocking and starting all over again......... expensive or what, an energiser will last 20 years. if you put trip wires up, 1, 2 and 3feet from the fence nothing will jump that except a jaguar, hope theres none in your area,  you dont need a big energiser a small/ med will do 100s of yards of fence.......... harry

Ross

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 11:51:06 pm »
Around here everyone who keeps hens seriously uses hotline electric netting. Those who rely on chicken wire don't keep their hens long and consequently give up.
An energiser, batteries(get 2, have one on charge, the other in use)and 200 meters of fence will set you back £300 ish, but thats only the cost of 50 hens, and you have to pay only once, whereas once a fox finds a soft target they tend to keep coming back.
Someone pointed out to me that foxes will jump up, but they won't jump over things. Police dogs have to be specially trained to jump over obstacles, so they might be right.

There is no problem in the world that cannot be fixed by the judicious application of the appropriate hammer.

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 02:58:49 pm »
Our electric fence seems to be keeping out the fox so far, he has been seen pacing along the perimeter.  I've not seen any dogs or cats try to get over it either.   At first we had problems with the battery draining too quickly as the fence shorted out on the grass.  We now lay a strip of damp proof course plastic down first and put the fence on top of that, it has done the trick and savesd us from having to move the fence to mow every week.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 04:00:40 pm »
have alook at Mole Valley Farmers online, we bought sheep netting and it was much cheaper than anywhere else! have since bought lots of stuff from them :)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 08:26:42 pm »
foxes will always dig under before going over thats why you need 2 or 3 electric trips wires so the fox cant get within 2 feet of the main fence..... kept poultry for years, no problem.... got slack, didnt connect the fence  1 year.... lost 12 ducks, 9 goslings and various hens... learnt my lesson... always connected now... no more problems..ALWAYS USE LEISURE BATTERYS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO CONSTANTLY RUN LOW THEN HAVE REGULAR FULL RECHARGES, a car battery is not designed to do that......harry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:36:23 pm by harry »

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »
I hope this isn't a silly question but I was planning on using the same (electric) fence to keep in chickens and sheep.  Looking at supplier websites (such as mole valley farmers) they have a specific nettings for each species, even though the height of the nettings are similar and the holes in the sheep (cheap) netting look small enough to keep chickens in.

I suppose the question I'm asking is which netting should I go for?

Thx
mab

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 09:05:59 pm »
A HEN CAN JUMP UP AND SORT Of BALANCE ON THE TOP OF THE NET  so if they want to get out the can jump any electric net...i use it to keep unwanted visitors out, not to keep hens in.....harry

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »
Absolutely right, Harry.  I have four LS - a cockerel and three hens.  One of the hens insists on jumping either onto and over the wire netting separating the ducks and chickens (I think she thinks she's a duck), or onto the paling gate and onto the ground.  I don't mind her being fully free range but I have to shoo her in if I want to take the dogs outside.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

funkyduck

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 11:31:03 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, have bought some netting and am loving it, can finally relax when the chickens are out. :) The damp proof course sounds a great idea, I know I have a whole roll of it somewhere, now where did I put it.........!

Ruth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS