Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why is it...  (Read 4010 times)

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
Why is it...
« on: March 21, 2012, 03:51:30 pm »
...that we make such a fuss with sheep when they are coming up to lambing and then fuss over their lambs yet with cows, from all the people I've asked, you generally leave to their own devices. No extra feed, no vaccinations, and generally no iodine on the umbilical cord...not sure about worming (maybe not even that).

I feel I should be 'doing' something for my pregnant ladies and also their calves when they arrive.

I don't understand  ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Why is it...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:05:28 pm »
We fluke our cattle when they come in for the winter, and again 6-8 weeks later.  Pregnant cattle need a magnesium lick available to avoid the risk of staggers.  Our pregnant cattle which outwinter get energy licks in harsh times, which include magnesium but also have some feed value. 

Some herds are vaccinated for BVD; we are thinking of starting as we do buy in the odd calf and the occasional heifer.

We don't feed extra to pregnant cows as we don't want over-large calves - but some may get some cake or extra feed when they've calved, depending on the milk supply.

BH never gets up in the night to a ewe - he brings her in and lambs her before he goes to bed, or she does it on her own.  We have restless nights when there's a cow looking like calving... ::)

Calves are watched like hawks to make sure they suckle within the first few hours; any concerns and they get a squirt of Life-gard (similar to Thermovite) and/or bottled colostrum to make sure they get their pro-biotics etc.  Then they are watched like hawks in case of scour developing.  They get wormed when they are weaned and turned out.

But generally, yes, cattle seem to be much better at just getting on with living than sheep do! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 04:14:54 pm »
sally has answered most of your questions     if you feed cattle before they calve that is extra and protein there is the risk of the calve being to big and needing a c section also the milk would be to much to soon   dressing navels that is up to the individual if you have lost one through infection you will dress them all therafter same as a blackleg inj   if you are in a high incidence area you will inj for that there was another one we dosed for you had to send for the doses and they were in a two part dose sent through the post :farmer:

Barcud

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:25 pm »
Agree with all advice above.
The key thing is to ensure the calf has a good feed ASAP otherwise they are severely compromised by infection. Having learnt the hard way, if we have doubts thy have suckled, weak calf, mother not standing etc then we will milk off and feed to calf or use artificial colostrum.
We also dip the navel in iodine.
We only have a small herd, so everyone is precious  :).
Mike

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:17:37 am »
Thanks guys, all advice much appreciated.
I've calved a few cows in the past for our dairy farmer friend but somehow now it's my own little fold I'm at sixes and sevens. Like you said Barcud, every single one is precious.
I just hope it goes smoothly, I've heard that Highlands can be rather edgy round calving time - eek.  :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 11:44:23 am »
I just hope it goes smoothly, I've heard that Highlands can be rather edgy round calving time - eek.  :o
Yes, be VERY cautious.  However well you know that cow, she can be a demon when consumed by mother love hormones.  And in your case, a demon with very very long and dangerous horns.  Do not attempt to approach, or get between her and her calf, on your own until you have sussed out how she'll be. 

BH keeps an iron gate between himself and one or two of our girls who are very protective for the first few days.  And has me nearby if possible, or at least know he's 'going in' so I'll come a-looking if he doesn't return!

Usually you'll get a head shake and snort of a warning, but some just charge, so take no risks.

But don't let that spoil your enjoyment of what will be a thrilling time!  :) :-*

And, even when your herd numbers in the thirties (as ours now is), they are still all precious  :love: :cow: ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »
more people are killed and injured with protective cows than with bulls
we had 45 cows and even with close attention at calving never had 100% calving even with multiple sets of twins  :farmer:

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 09:10:27 am »
I brush my Highlands on a regular basis but I'll still give them a wide berth at calving (hoping all goes well).
My OH got attacked by a Belted Galloway bull the other day and since then we've both been more wary whilst we are in with the cows.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »
Every couple or three months we hear of very experienced stockmen getting attacked by their own cattle, or drovers at the mart by cattle being sold.  Broken legs, cracked ribs, punctured lungs and worse.   It's most usually Limousins or other highly-fed continentals, or newly-calved cows, sometimes the bull. 

Never turn your back on a beast, never ever trust a bull and never ever ever assume a cow with calf will be happy to have you nearby.  Always always always know where your escape route is.

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 12:12:28 pm »
the Scottish AI  centre had a Charolais bull (ecran)that was the bull to have only thing was he was mental had to be put down in the end
we had a decedent from him  but that is another story and why i have a strong dislike of English vets
Limousin's are not as flighty as they used to be  they stopped using the ultra mad ones :farmer:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:18:53 pm »
Yes, be VERY cautious.  However well you know that cow, she can be a demon when consumed by mother love hormones.  And in your case, a demon with very very long and dangerous horns.  Do not attempt to approach, or get between her and her calf, on your own until you have sussed out how she'll be. 

I suspect this is related to why calves' navels don't get iodined  ;)
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS