Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe with Hypocalcaemia  (Read 5999 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Ewe with Hypocalcaemia
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:46:17 am »
Treated a pregnant ewe (3 weeks off) on Tuesday for Hypocalaemia. She had 100ml of Calciject intravenously. She's on her feet and eating but not as much of an appetite or as lively as her fellows. Does anyone know how long it takes for a ewe to be 'back to normal'? She is heavily pregnant and I'm trying not to read her sluggishness as being poorly as some is bound to be down to the fact that she's naturally resting more and doing less but would be helpful to know if I could do any more to help her. She's also had 6ml P&S and a couple of doses of Multilamb Rapid. The girls have got a CalciZinc block so should be getting their correct calcium intake (if they're all have a lick of it that is. Vet did say that there may be other cases as usually not a single ewe affected and I have noticed another 'slow' girl this morning. Any advice appreciated.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
Re: Ewe with Hypocalcaemia
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:15 am »

"She had 100ml of Calciject intravenously. "

Hi pewardine, hope ewe is better. Are you sure you mean 'intravenously'?
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 11:48:02 am »
Oh yes, I'm sure. I didn't do it vet did. He went straight into the vein in her neck, took blood out to warm the solution and put in/took out gradually until it had all gone in. She was very bad and no time to do the usual multiple subcutaneous injections. It also brought the solution to a better temperature for absorbtion. Marvellous reaction. She was on her feet in minutes but is still a little slower than the other ladies, hence my concern. He also put his hand over her nose and mouth to stop her breathing for a minute so she would pee out of fright (she'd not been able to pee or poo) so he could take a reading on her calcium levels. All very amazing and scarey stuff. :o

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 11:52:47 am »
From your description, you are very lucky your vet could save this one - I think she's entitled to be a bit slow after going so close to death! 

Sometimes they seem to never look back after being treated, sometimes they still seem 'fragile' so I might bring them nearer to home, give them a shelter to use, etc - mollycoddle them a bit, and watch for another bout.

I had one, one year, collapsed three times over about 4 weeks, but eventually produced two strapping twins and never looked back thereafter.

BTW, you should always warm calcium / magnesium to blood heat before injecting, whether sub-cut or i-v.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 11:56:13 am »
I know my lovely. Done that one a couple of times before now. Always have Calciject handy.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 12:34:10 pm »
but good for us newbies to know. I have a very thin ewe who is expecting shes been on extra rations for weeks and no change shes up to date on worming fluke hepto vac and multi vits plus mineral lick I can't think of anything else I can do except hope she is able to go to term and then help her with rearing the lamb. I have calcium on hand thanks to vet and this list but whilst i can recognise eclampsia in a dog have no clue with regards to sheep so all this is very useful!
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15:46 pm »
If suffering from Calcium deficiency you should look for:

Listlessness
Inactivity
Dliated pupils
Runny nose/mouth
Inability to pass urine/defecate
Possible bloatedness
Unable to stand/head low to ground

Also can be signs of Ketosis(twin lamb disease) in which case administer Liquid Life Aid or similar. Basically if the Calciject doesn't work (ewe should be up on feet again within short time of injecting) then it is likely to be Ketosis.

Hope this helps Kanisha.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 04:38:10 pm »
thanks Pedwardine all very useful. I should add she also gets dried apricots every day to try to keep her glucose up ( all my sheepies love them!) She will only single thank goodness but even so she is on the edge of  her nutrition at the moment.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 05:25:35 pm »
Dried apricots. I'll tell my girls, they'll be SOOO jealous! Actually have got a packet  :thumbsup:.  Just about to give last feed of the day so I shall see if anyone is interested. I know they love apples and carrots and beet and greens. Apricots I haven't tried.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 11:25:38 pm »
but good for us newbies to know. I have a very thin ewe who is expecting shes been on extra rations for weeks and no change shes up to date on worming fluke hepto vac and multi vits plus mineral lick I can't think of anything else I can do except hope she is able to go to term and then help her with rearing the lamb. I have calcium on hand thanks to vet and this list but whilst i can recognise eclampsia in a dog have no clue with regards to sheep so all this is very useful!
I've got one like that, can't get any weight on her, she's always slim at whatever time of year, will go once she's reared this lamb. Assuming we get that far. !!
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:16:17 am »
this one lost a lot of weight dramatically I noticed around six weeks after the tup had been in since then shes not gained any weight although I feel she is brighter in herself now, until the lamb is born at this point I don't tihnk things will improve I intend to at least share rearing the lamb to try to give her some respite and regain her condition if at all possible.

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 08:25:14 am »
Oooer. Got asked by a neighbour who also has had a ewe with Hypocalcaemia (wish there was an abbreviated way of writing that!) what I'd used to treat mine suffering from it (Had another one the other day-caught her alot earlier though). She'd used an isontonic drink with great results apparently. I've heard of flat Lucozade on the forum for weary ewes. Anyone else out there who can concur that this sort of thing works? I've got a supply of 'energy' drink in for me when I start flagging. If I have nothing else to hand should I try it on an exhausted, or indeed Hypocalcaemic ewe?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 11:29:07 am »
Would energy drinks be the same as rehydration mixture ie a teaspoon of salt per litre of water, plus a whole load of glucose? 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:55:05 am »
I tihnk its probably more accurate to determine the differences beteen hypocalcaemia ( low calcium) and twin lamb disease which seems to me to be treatable with glucose so low glucose; treating a ewe with hypocalcaemia with gluose won't make any difference unless of course the ewe really has low glucose. so if in doubt treat with glucose as well as calcium.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS