Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Arthritic goat ?  (Read 3843 times)

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
Arthritic goat ?
« on: April 03, 2009, 01:26:21 pm »
Hello,

One of our goats is very stiff on her front legs. When I was trimming her front feet I certainly noticed a click when bending her knees to get access.
Presumably they can be affected by arthritis ? If so what would be a good supplement to give her to make her a bit more mobile ?

Cheers

Gavin

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Arthritic goat ?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 01:45:53 pm »
Gavin

Last year I rescued 2 old goats, at the time they were in a dreadful state and we thought they were here to die. 7 months on, a huge vets bill, a lot of TLC and even just food - they are in a terrific state and bring us great pleasure. Rosie is a 2 year old Golden Guernsey cross and she could barely walk when she arrived, now she jumps fences and eats enough for 2 and is generally a very happy girl. Anyway, she suffers from arthritis and we give her some "Danilon Equidos" which is for "pain and inflammation associated with musclo-skeletel conditions" - in horses but it does do the trick. Every 2 months or so she also needs an anti inflammatory injection from the vet but as soon as she gets it you see the difference in her.

This comes in a powder form and to start with we sprinkled it in her food but she refused to eat it. Then we cored out an apple and hid it in that but after a few days she got wise to that too. Even now she refuses a bit of apple as she remembers! Now she gets it, every second day. We give her a "piece on jam" with the powder sprinkled on and months and months later she has never wise up. I hope this helps, good luck.

James

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS