Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Disappointed  (Read 2358 times)

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
Disappointed
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:42 am »
We've been selling our eggs at the farm gate, lots of people seem to do the same around here with veg as well as eggs. We had a nice little stall and have basically been covering the costs of the feed. I was planning to start putting some plants out for sale as well as the eggs. But last night came home to find someone had nicked the eggs and my plastic tray and then tried to remove the money box ( which was empty). They couldn't remove the box because it's screwed on so they just vandalised the stall. >:(

I was really angry last night. I'd expected we might get some people taking eggs but why trash the stall ?

We're going to mend it and continue because we seem to have some regular customers now but it is disappointing. However, I have consoled myself by remembering that my friend who lived in Hackney ( North London) wasn't selling anything at her 'farm gate' and still had people nick flowers from her garden and even go for a wee against her front door whilst she was in the front room looking out of the window. 

Of course there is a possibility that we have got ourselves involved in some kind of farm gate selling egg war, but I think that's unlikely.

Does anyone have any tips for avoiding a repeat ?

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Disappointed
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30:02 am »
So sorry this has happened.  I sell eggs at the gate, and probably once a week either a box of eggs or whatever money is in the box will disappear. On the other hand, last Saturday I was out all day,and returned to find all the eggs gone and nearly £10 in coins  in the empty egg container ......I look at it that the majority of people who buy my eggs are honest, nice people and I am not going to let the sad egg thief spoil that trust I have in my egg customers.

Perhaps a notice on the gate regarding what happened and you know who it is, and any further trouble and the Police will be involved.  Whether it was "just an egg stall"  it was damage to your property!!

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »
thanks Roxy. I think a note explaining absence of the stall would be good. Trying not to get too preoccupied with it. I'm not sure whether it would be better to not bolt the box down so they can take it but maybe would be less likely to trash the stall howver, I suspect it wouldn't make a difference some people are just unpleasant.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:01:06 pm »
a competitor :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »
Bad luck to them >:( >:(  I'm so lucky to have stay at home sister to sell my eggs for me. Do you have a friendly neighbour or such who would do the same? They could take their commision in eggs.

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:58 pm »
No neighbours close enough / around enough.
I thought about a competitor but I think ours are the most expensive in the surrounding area so it's not like we're undercutting anyone, they are colured eggs though ( blue, pink, green and white) so maybe there is some egg jealousy at work especially coming up to Easter.

I will persevere and keep my fingers crossed. 

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »
Hopefully it was someone passing through, never to return.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »
Probably kids in all honesty.

Its a real shitter - not really for losing your eggs and the damage (although I imagine thats a real big bummer) - Its also the trust you've lost and the realism that in the future it might not be safe again.

Press on with your stall - I hope it doesnt happen again for you.

Baz

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 06:32:20 pm »
could you not put up a camera? it could be one of those little webcam like things, and a sign to say its there, (it doesnt have to be working of course...)

Sandy

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »
YOu need a random flash too (for the camera), that would spook them out, actualy I wanted a camera on our front door, there used to be one, easy and fairly cheap I suppose. I never understand why but kids the human kind, love destroying anything, they will smash or steal stuff just for the fun, they will not be bad kids just some out taking risks, like stealing fruit thats probaly too soar to eat or taking daffs out of gardens etc...a part of growing up but still wrong.   is it possible to put a sign on the stall and a phone no. then they could ring,  you will miss a lot of trade but other than some one be there all the time there are few options. I often think about selling stuff from my window but I cannot be bothered!!! I am in the village center and could always shut the window when I am not in the room and also have a bell so they can ring for attention, IF, I were to put anything there it would be thrown at the house...just something kids would do!!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS