Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Louse treatment for pregnant goat  (Read 2610 times)

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Louse treatment for pregnant goat
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:13:00 am »
I expect this has been asked before but can anyone recommend a non-prescription method of controlling lice that I can use for my GGs?  I asked my vet about spot-on sheep stuff but he wouldn't supply it and I ended up with vet-price louse powder which is only for sprinkling on bedding.  Not making any difference.

I also have 'Delete' powder from Goat Nutrition which can be brushed through the coat but with long-haired GGs (and the pregnant one hates being brushed) it is not very effective.  They are both biting and rubbing themselves and I would like to give them some relief from this.

Any ideas?  I am going to my local farm store tomorrow where they will have any non-prescription stuff for cattle and sheep.   I will get whatever will help, as long as it is safe for this late stage of pregnancy, she has 4 weeks to go.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Louse treatment for pregnant goat
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:07 pm »
I did postpone the treatment for mine as she was quite late by then, she will be done tomorrow (now that her kids are separated). I have done 3 treatments of spot-on earlier in the winter, and it looks she needs another one....

I am not sure you get something suitable this late.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: Louse treatment for pregnant goat
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:38 am »
I'll leave it for now - don't want to cause a problem.  My vet seemed to be of the opinion that goats have lice and there isn't much that will change it!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS