Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stupid gardener  (Read 2248 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Stupid gardener
« on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:17 am »
The couple living in the farmhouse next to my field have a gardener.  Friday was his first day back after the winter break, and he mowed their very large lawn.  He has been coming a couple of years to this house, and always takes away any branch cuttings etc. and the grass he mown goes on a large compost heap at the bottom of the garden.

He was there about an hour early afternoon.  Just before dark I went to get Primrose and Barnie the two goats in that paddock in for the night, and saw they, and the old pet sheep, Bertie, and the llama, were all standing by the wall  between us and the garden.  Rather odd, so I went down.

I think you may guess what the big interest was.  I was horrified to see the gardener had tipped the whole cuttings form the lawn over the wall for the animals, and they were knee deep in grass.  They must have been there about two hours, but obviously being green blended into the grass in the field, so I had not noticed.  I got the goats in and the sheep. 

Filled two big bags with grass cuttings, all this in the now dark, which was not easy.  Went round to the neighbours (could not ask him to pick up the grass as they are both 80 ish)>   All he said was "its only grass?".  I have had conversations with him in the past that NOTHING from his garden must be put over the wall, and I assumed his gardener was aware of this.  What possessed the man to do it I do not know,  he has never done it before.  And there is plenty of grass in the field, so animals do not look starving.

I told the neighbour that should my animals be ill, there would be a vet bill, and should they die, a bill for a replacement goat/sheep/llama.

The farmer on the other side of my field, lost three ewes to garden lawn cuttings being put over this fence, and claimed off the house holder for his loss.
Anyway, Barnie was not at all well all weekend, but thankfully perked up Sunday evening, when he started to eat again.

So a timely warning, now the grass is growing - make sure neighbours are aware of the dangers of chucking their garden waste over to any of your animals.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Stupid gardener
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:11:35 pm »
How stupid.  You can never be sure what is on a lawn, either growing or just left in error - bits of plastic bags and tansy spring to mind from a previous garden we moved into  If this is a professional gardener he should be taken to task over it next time you see him!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:01 pm »
just hope the goats / sheep / llama are okay.

Maybe its no bad thing that our neighbours aren't so keen on us ;)
Little Blue

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:42 pm »
My neighbour's large lawn is mowed by the council.  They asked me if I would like the cuttings for the goats so I explained that it could make them ill.  They said they were surprised but thought they'd better ask first.  Thank goodness for sensible gardeners.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS