Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single Farm Payment - Help I cant understand it at all!!!!  (Read 11137 times)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Single Farm Payment - Help I cant understand it at all!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »
Its only about 3 acres thats on the side that he's a neighbour, our place was a bigger farm sold in 3 parcels and we got the parcel with the house and some land in the middle and our two neighbours got the other two parcels, (they previously rented it from the farmer who died hence the sale, they got first dibs as tenants of the land) he doesn't pay rent and year round his animals graze it and i don't even get a bottle of vino or a box of chocs at Xmas! ::)
Can't be faffed with sorting it out.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 12:46:11 pm »
i did not have you down as a pushover  you need to get this sorted PDQ  there is a real danger he could have a valid claim to that field even if you have proper title to it :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »
Will do some investigating!
Cheers Robert
Mandy  :pig:

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 12:57:32 pm »
WOW! We have ten acres in wales. Reading through this thread I'm glad I haven't bothered and will not be bothering with this!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »
having just acquired 30 acres I'm thinking I need to find out more about this - trying to find someone who can explain what SFP are to a complete newbie is my main stumbling block; then finding out if I should apply, how to apply, etc.

Every time I ask someone about it a get a vague reply of "it's all changing in a couple of years" and "you need to buy an entitlement" without any advice on: cost / benefit/  where to start / find the info / get the forms.  :(

m

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 01:51:14 pm »
if you bought the land with entitlements you can claim   if not you have to buy sufficient entitlements to cover that acerage  you have to balance the cost of them against any return
an agric adviser  but they will want money your local agric auction mart or a land agent  good luck :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 01:59:45 pm »
having just acquired 30 acres I'm thinking I need to find out more about this - trying to find someone who can explain what SFP are to a complete newbie is my main stumbling block; then finding out if I should apply, how to apply, etc.

Every time I ask someone about it a get a vague reply of "it's all changing in a couple of years" and "you need to buy an entitlement" without any advice on: cost / benefit/  where to start / find the info / get the forms.  :(
Mab I know what you mean - its is a clear as mud (ive been mulling it over for months).  Found some entitlements for sale (Jones Peckover), followed tizzalas link to FUW calculator, read the rural payments guidance.  Still none the wiser ??? ??? ::) !!!!  Except to know that Ive missed the boat for this year and that information and packs were released in Feb this year - so if it's like that next year it'll all be a big rush again ::) .  Helpful to hear others experiences here though, thnaks

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »
Single Farm Payments were allocated to farmers in 2005. If you did not establish entitlements in 2005, you  have to obtain entitlements by transfer from another farm business.

see here for more info

As for other farmers claiming on your land I would seek advice from the regional office of the Rural Payments Agency.

I don't have any entitlements but still fill out the form every year (making a nil claim) as I'm hoping that when the scheme changes in a year or two I may become entitled. In addition I can register my interest in the Environmental schemes (such as Glastir) here in Wales. Also when you do first put in a form they map your land for you and can check if anyone else is claiming on it.

Whilst I do not claim SFP the same form enables me  to claim for other schemes such as the Woodland Creation Premium (that is a payment for 15 years after getting a woodland planting grant).

It is complex and bureaucratic (the form is a nightmare but I just go along to the office and let them tell me to put in it!). I would suggest that anyone who wants to know more speak to the regional office of their payments agency.

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 02:15:20 pm »
As regards the new scheme in 2014/15 (The current scheme as we know it along with all existing entitlement are to be extinguished)) that will be introduced.

I found this elsewhere which indicates that you won't be entitled to be included in the new scheme unless you made an SFP claim in 2011

Golden Ticket Status
Claimants who have claimed Single Farm Payment (SFP) in 2011 have, what is commonly being referred to as the “Golden Ticket”, which allows them to apply for an allocation of Entitlement under the proposed new SFP due to be implemented in 2014. Claimant’s who have this status but will not be claiming a reallocation of entitlement as they have or will be going out of farming and giving up their land, may potentially be able to sell this status.

CAP Reform Update - Jan 2012
New scheme to be introduced 1st Jan 2014 (1st Jan 2015 looking more realistic).
The current scheme as we know it along with all existing entitlement are to be extinguished.
From Jan 2014 (2015) a new multi layered payment will be introduced. Made up as follows:-

• Basic Payment
  • Greening
  • Young Farmer Scheme
  • Small Farmer Scheme
  • Areas of specific national restraints
(BPS) Basic Payment Scheme
Farmers will need to apply for a new allocation of entitlements in the first year of the scheme. Entitlements will only be allocated to farmers who have activated at least one payment entitlement in 2011 and can meet the Active Farmer definition.
Claiming the Basic Payment Scheme (BPS)
The claimant must:-

• Meet definition of Active Farmer
  • Match Entitlements against eligible hectares
  • Have the land at his disposal on a single date - like to be equivalent to 15 May
  • Keep the land used to claim BPS as eligible land throughout the calendar year.
There will be only one type of entitlement.
The two year usage rule will remain
Entitlement will be be transferable only by sale.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS