Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single Farm Payment - Help I cant understand it at all!!!!  (Read 11121 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Single Farm Payment - Help I cant understand it at all!!!!
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:59 am »
Have looked at previous threads and am no wiser, I feel so thick.  One of the farmers in my valley asked if I was claiming it - to which I said I thought we were too small (12 acres).  Turns out that is not so, but I just cant work out what I need to do.  I dont have entitlements with the holding, Do have holding number etc, but am not rigistered as a farmer (I dont think).  Can anyone signpost to  an easy step by step 'what I need to do' guide???   I know I would need to buy an entitelement and can see how I would do this - is it worth it, cause I cant work out what the payment would be.  I am in Wales.  Thansk anyone!

Oh and I think the farmers brother has claimed on our land before we came here.  Got the impression that yesterdays enquirer was sort of trying to make sure someone wass claiming for it?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:16:57 am by FiB »

robert waddell

Re: Single Farm Payment - Help I cant understand it at all!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:01 am »
ah if he was claiming for it before he has to have that land available for his use on a grazing let  there may be i say may be a bit of fraud going on  if he is claiming for the land but no access to it either for grazing or crops
you should enquire at the rpa they will tell you if it has been claimed before and if it still is being claimed for and by who
there is only two ways you can get money  historic entitlement passed on to you or purchase units of entitlement there is not many years left in the system so you will have to do your sums :farmer:

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:53:41 am »
Cheers RW, hero member!  I'll do just that thanks.  I suspect there is every possible permutation of fiddle and loophole crawling through going on round here!!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:07:45 pm »
you need to get a move on for this,
key dates for Wales
15 March distribution of SAF packs commences
30 March deadline for submitting applications
2nd April last date for SPS Entittlement transfers
15 May last date for returning SAF form to avoid penalties.
all this is in March/April GWLAD  Magazine
Contact you local Welsh Office for a pack

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:07 pm »
The RPA in spite of everything that has been said about them, are always really helpful when I call.  If you have 12 acres then it should be around £240 / ha  for basic (no historic which we never had) payments.

So over a thousand pounds a year - definitely worth looking in to it and even if you paid a land agent to help you it wouldn't cost you more than a few hundred hopefully

http://www.fuw.org.uk/SPCalculator.html This looked interesting...

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »
I'd be very surprised if the SFP was sold to you with the property - you would know as it would have been part of the sale contract of the property.

evie

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 11:29:29 pm »
Does anyone know of the dates for Scotland? same as for Wales?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 01:13:20 am »
We didn't think it was worth bothering for our 15 acres, plus the forms confused me.
we've bought some more land and decided to look into the stewardship scheme.
just last week we went to see an estate agent that deals in rural properties, she was very efficient, told us clearly what was involved, arranged the entitlements to buy, we should get our money back this year and then another payment next year, then the scheme may alter or run another year, but in theory we should double our money.
On checking for the stewardship it turns out someone is claiming on our original 10 acres, presumably the chap who has it for summer grazing, as we haven't managed to talk to him yet, we don't know if he's claiming the SFP, so we couldn't buy the entitlements which would cover that field, very naughty of him to be claiming stewardship without our permission, esp as he does nothing for the field except leave his cattle on too long and poaches the ground round his feeder.
the cost of the legal work is expected to be about £300, but that's a one off- shouldn't need her again next year (until I see any more paperwork then I'll be yelling for help)  ???

Helen47

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 11:08:25 pm »
Hi
New to the site but this interested me!!! I had lost my husband in August last year and decided that I would like a break from looking after someones horses this winter so I gave them notice and they were not very happy about it, suddenly I get a call from one of them asking if I would let them use their entitlements for my field numbers at £50 an acre...now this seemed odd to me because he new my field numbers as he had tacked horses with me for years and at £2.50  a head per week so I thought that might bring in more money I pointed out that he new my numbers because he had had to put some sheep on his IACS forms in the past...he told me he had never claimed but given how nasty he became I asked where my maps were...went to DEFRA and I had to wait a month under the Freedom of Information act to find out who had claimed on my land since we moved here in 2003..this was 2/3/2012 I had my response this Friday they had claimed on my 36 acres for 2010 and 2011 without paying or permission from us. He has threatened to sort me out Defra insisted I informed the police and I did they then asked me to get the police to contact them about the case by all accounts the police have spoken to DEFRA. My question are: Are the payments large enough to justify a threat? Why should the landowner not be entitled to get this information when they own the land not the claimant? Will there be any penalties charged to the claimant? To me it is fraud I know they will never apologise for doing it let alone pay me what I could have earned out of letting the filed numbers as naked land it just doesn't seem fair...  any comments would be gratefully received.. Thanks

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:08:57 am »
looks like nobody wants to comment on your posting Helen       information can be retrieved instantaneously it is the motovation of these people that takes the time
i don't see how you had to report it to the police before defra could confirm to the police that a possible fraud had taken place
with the death of your husband he is not there to confirm or repudiate that farmer had access to these fields all these years if the property is in joint names there is more credence to your version of events
if he has been claiming for your land there is every possibility he has been bending the rules on other aspects of his SFP and could lose the lot plus have to pat back what has been claimed before

years ago there was an application for a house on 4 acres of land the owner had alleged that he rented 250 acres a few miles away and needed the house to farm that 250 acres the NFU supported his claim saying it was necessary the council accepted it but on investigating at the department of agriculture subsidy was being claimed in the original owners name and not the alleged tenant  he did not get the house approved fraud is fraud no matter what form it takes or who perpetrates it :farmer:

Helen47

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 09:53:54 pm »
Thanks for your reply Robert

It was the threats I had to report to the police then Defra phoned me to ask if I would call the police back and request that the police contact this lady at defra so she could discuss the case with them maybe they already had had dealings with these two guys and knew things could turn nasty I don't know but I do know that the police did call defra...The two brothers have also claimed for my buildings under some scheme as well I have now been told so the list keeps growing....It was only me they ever dealt with as my husband was away working in different parts of the country as a software consultant contracting to the MOD on Secret security level about to be upgraded to DV cleared the highest clearance you can get and we have always had to be squeaky clean to the letter of the law because of this, there is no way on this planet that he would have allowed them to just claim heck I didn't even know what he was working on he took it to his grave with him his clearance would have been lost instantly along with our income if this had come out when he was alive....

This freedom of information act is only protecting the claimant not the owner and that doesn't seem right...surely there should be some way these claims are check to be legitimate either by the landowner signing the claim form or contact with Defra I don't know...Farming is not an easy job as I do all my animals myself I have spent the last 2 months lambing day and night on my own so I agree to them having help financially but only for what they can rightfully claim billions are paid out but only random claims checked....to me I still say it is fraud....but are these claims likely to be large enough to warrant these threats in the first place after all I have done nothing wrong.

Has anyone else out there had similar incidents happen to them or have I been unlucky and found the con men!!!!
Once again thanks for replying

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
Helen - hope you are getting through your situation, it sounds like the last thing you needed :bouquet: .  I now strongly suspect that nearby farmer is claiming on ours again this year so you are not alone...  I just have to decide whether to dob him in.  (Apparently he was asking another neighbour how to spell our surnames!)  would we have had to sign anything if he was doing it legitemately does anyone know?

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:21:20 pm »
I've a suspicion that the farmer we bought our land from's brother is claiming on ours. I shall find out ;)

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:25:02 pm »
Our neighbour claims on ours and openly admits it, don't think his maps have been adjusted since we bought our place! He even gets money for some special grasses thats on it!
mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 12:29:15 pm »
that is just not right  and to me constitutes fraud  different if he rents it  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS