Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad habbits.....  (Read 10932 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Bad habbits.....
« on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:34 am »
Hi we have just taken on Stretchy, a 9 month old lovely tabby (although the owner told us she was a fancy burmese cross - she just looks like a tabby to me!).  Shes settled in like a dream and just started letting her out at the weekend.  The trouble is she is mostly bring IN live things - shrews ecpecially.  The big hope was that she would help us with our rat and mouse cohabiters. Shes also brought in a couple of dead mice (much praise!!), but I cant be housing live shrews which wriggle out of her reach until I spot them and chuck them out.  What shoudl I do.  Today I have shut her out of the house - just leaving the conservatory open for her (this has her bed litter tray food etc in it) is this the way forward - only letting her in the living room when we are there, or are there other tricks?  Never had a cat before - 9 year old son is beside himself with joy!!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Bad habbits.....
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:17 am »
she is bringing them to you as offerings and thanks

if you get cross with her she will think you are disappointed and bring you more of them!!!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:03 am »
Thanks bloomer.  I have been giving her lots of love strokes and kind words (cause I do want to encourage and reward her hunting) - its just where she is depositing them and the fact that she doesnt always kill them, just plays!  Is there a way I can encourage outside depositing?  Thanks, Fi

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:51 am »
not that i discovered

mine are older now so less prone to bring us gifts

we live in town and we had various mice shrews and frogs as gifts

dead is almost worse our smallest cat liked in her prime to kill pigeons and squirrels and would leave bits of them on the back step for us!!!

Smalltime

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:31:55 am »
They do bring them to you as a present. No you cannot stop cats bringing them in alive, getting bored and leaving them running around the sitting room. Only way is to check their mouths before you open the door  ;) My old cat would line them up, neatly slayed with a slash underneath the neck. One morning there were five mice lined up in perfect symmetry on the front doorstep. Somebody was VERY pleased with their efforts that day. Its not a bad habit, your cat is very happy with its lot and is showing you some appreciation. Who would not want five dead mice for breakfast?  :cat:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:25 am »
I agree with the others. She is bringing them to you as presents.  In the old house my cat often brought in live prey. When she got bored chasing them around it left me to catch them.

My cat (Cleo) is only just starting to venture out now that we have moved but when she gets to know her surroundings a bit more I will expect more of the same.

I am not aware of anything you can do to stop it.

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 10:51:44 am »
Aww well thats a nice thought that she's happy with her lot (as she is a rescue cat it was a bit of a worry) ;D.  Just have to keep her out of house when I'm not there then - I guess.  She's still got a nice conservatory to lounge in (why do I feel guilty??!!!).  Tried that this morning and there is a big fat mouse presented on conservatory step!!  Good girl!!  Thanks all, Very new to the ways of cats (well most animals really!! Had a budgie and a tortoise but not very useful experience in new life!)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »
And for goodness sake DON'T put in a cat flap - at least you have some control by her using the door.  I deliberately didn't put mine back in when I renewed my doors as Rio is a brilliant hinter.  I'm sure you'll have read my tale of him bringing in a young rat when I was on the phone and thereby handicapped, playing with it, then eventually killing and devouring it in front of my (hand shielded) eyes! ::)

Cats have their uses when you are gundog training though - ready made fur covers for dummies, and food for the dogs (I can't eat fluffy bunnies) :-[ :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »
Yes, just natural cat behaviour Im afraid.

Our girl brings us the occasional young rabbit as well!!

Shrews, I have heard, dont taste good. Think this is probably true because puss cat eats everything else but leaves the shrews for me to collect up. Bless her.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 02:58:49 pm »
You're so lucky - she must REALLY love you!  ;D

If it's any use, our multi-fuel range has recently been re-named the "Vole Fired Power Station", our cats are bringing home so many!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:43 pm »
You're so lucky - she must REALLY love you!  ;D

If it's any use, our multi-fuel range has recently been re-named the "Vole Fired Power Station", our cats are bringing home so many!

;D.  Have to try that - we run on wood usually, but willing to give most things a go!!!!!!!  That was the other thing - wasnt  sure what to do with them - if I chuck em back in the field will a passing buzzard or weasel have them (fine), or will the cat bring them back in(not fine) ??    She is a good little cat, but the owner is going to take some educating!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 08:47:51 pm »
yup, a proper cat, happy with her lot!

Our boys are ratters through & through - live ones, dead ones, organs, whatever get left here, there and everywhere (on the bed once - bleugh!)
Del, the tabby girl is VERY proud when she finds a shrew down by the railway line - she carries it back miowing to tell us, she looks like she's grown a Groucho Marx moustache as it hangs out her mouth!
Little Blue

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
She is trying to teach you how to hunt... Females bring live mamed prey to youngsters to practice on... Nothing you can do I'm afraid! At least she thinks of you as part of her family, you'd have no idea how many chronically stressed cats are stressed cos they don't like thier owners, who insist on interacting with them.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:40 pm »
She is trying to teach you how to hunt... Females bring live mamed prey to youngsters to practice on...
Ahh.. I'd always wondered why it was female cats that bring most of the live prey back, the boys are more likely to bring dead things back and/or eat them up promptly.  (Except shrews and moles, which evidently don't taste good.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 07:30:33 am »
I think with moles it's just they can't get the wrappers off!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS