Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: More natural 'bought in' fertiliser....  (Read 3343 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
More natural 'bought in' fertiliser....
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:58:37 am »
Anyone got any non petrochemical based fertiliser recommendations?  I was wondering if you could get chicken pellets designed for tractor spreading?  We dont have any muck of our own and took hay off 3 fields last year.  They have been quite heavily grazed over the winter (sheep) so I know I need to put something back in....  Last year we had just moved in so I went along with neighbours suggestion of buying in fertilizer prills which another neighbour spread.  It didnt feel right, and I felt a bit railroaded, and its happening again....  Basically he wants to share a bag as he only has a few acres too.  So cost wise its a good thing.   I use cluck and home compost on veg patch - is their a larger scale version of cluck that anyone knows of?  Thanks Fi

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: More natural 'bought in' fertiliser....
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:46 am »
FIB,
Did you see Country File last night?  Adam was buying in chicken compost from somewhere in the south. It was an enormous load though. He had a contractor spreading it for him and reckoned it would take a couple of days to do.
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 10:08:41 am »
Not yet - recorderd it!  Thats interesting and shows Im not mad then!  Google search hasnt turned up anything yet, but will try again.  Cheers, F

mandos1993

• Joined Mar 2012
  • downham market
  • shepherd in training
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »
you want to try a local chicken farmer they should sell you it by the ton how much are you looking for ?
Every man can tell how many sheep he poss but not how many friends

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:30:03 am »
FIB,
Did you see Country File last night?  Adam was buying in chicken compost from somewhere in the south. It was an enormous load though. He had a contractor spreading it for him and reckoned it would take a couple of days to do.
Sally
I imagine its from the big chicken unit about 4 miles from his farm..... ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS