Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How do I get someone in to make haylage  (Read 5197 times)

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
How do I get someone in to make haylage
« on: March 19, 2012, 09:34:14 am »
Hi :wave:

I have been asked to look after some permanent pasture on Dartmoor.  We have up to now had sheep and cows on but the fencing is so bad I think we'll fall out with the neighbours if we continue.  So, for one season only, (unless I don't get around to doing anything about the fences) I thought I'd sell a crop of grass in an kind of "buyer collects" sort of arrangement.

Any advice on where to start?  Its not really the sort of thing you see on e-bay so I'm stumped :dunce:.

Liz
Never ever give up.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: How do I get someone in to make haylage
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:43 am »
Interesting one - I know there are auctions for other standing crops (stands of hazel for coppicing, for example, so might be worth talking with your local agricultural auctioneers).  Round here I think you would just need to mention it to a few key farmers (usually the retired ones that still go to auctions and meet in the local cafe for a chat every day) that you may have a standing crop you are interested in selling... or you could put up a postcard in the local farmers shop?      We chose to get it small baled (paid a local farmer) and sold it off the field as we didnt have storage.  That way you take more of the risk, but get more of the money.  If you can get someone local to small bale haylage its like gold.   We small baled hay and sold for £3.5 - £3.75 as long as they collected on day of baling and it worked really well  - word traveled and it all went quickly. Good luck.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:56 pm »
Thanks, that sounds like a great idea.  I'll put the word about and hopefully, by July, there'll be a good crop of grass which will attract interest.

Thanks again FiB.
Never ever give up.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 10:01:55 pm »
We got our straw for the year from a neighbour on this basis. He left got the only chap left in the village with a small baler to come in and bale it and sold it straight off the field. Finding the kit for small bales seemed the hard part, comparatively speaking, buyers were easy to find.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 01:43:09 pm »
Ask your nearby farmer. If he can't do it he will certainly know someone who can :)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 10:54:06 pm »
A recommendation I've often heard is to do a 50:50 deal with whoever you get to make it - then they have an interest in making good forage. I presume you will have some need yourself?   We 'paid' our contractor his costs in bales which was slightly better than 50:50 in our favour, more like 60:40.

We got about 12 medium sized large square bales per acre from unimproved permanent pasture. I would guess this equals c 6-8 no commercial small bales haylage (we got the contractor to set baler to smallest length about 4'6"). So you would hope to get 300-400 small bales from your 4 acres.  I have also seen people quote 10 large round bales/ acre as a guide (and a round bale is supposed to equal 10 small).
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:08:00 pm »
You can sell it as a standing crop through your local land agent or mart, usually.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »
Try contacting the local riding club/bridleway  group.  Small bale hay or haylage is like gold dust in some areas and, if they know you are making it, you can get advance orders.  If you can store some for the horse owners with very little storage - even better.  Mine's all sold and the grass hasn't even grown yet!  We average 300 small bales from 5 acres, heavily grazed by our sheep in winter and no fertilizers.  We also do a 50/50 with the contractor - then they have a vested interest in making it well.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »
Thanks soooo much everyone, the cows are now off the field so I can get on with getting it nice and smooth for the hay cutter. 

I had an interesting conversation with a land agent where he was very patiently explaining to me that you go around with the chain harrow before the roller.  I'm such a townie I was grateful for his guidance which was not at all patronising. 

Thanks again, I'll let you all know how I get on.

Liz
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS