Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: YAY!!! We've got a broody  (Read 4579 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: YAY!!! We've got a broody
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 06:15:41 pm »
We'll - today she's back in the main coop nesting box all puffed up and chirruping but not sitting on anything as the others have gone and laid in the broody box (which I left open in case somebody wanted to go and sit there........not mentioning any names.......) and they don't seem to want to lay in the box next door.

SO - maybe I've got a second chance.

I'll see how she goes for the rest of the week and if she's really determined then I might try again.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

thestephens

• Joined Mar 2011
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 07:07:34 pm »
from a complete novice....i think we have a broody! Petal is staying in the same nesting box ALL the time but there are no eggs under her. Gloves are needed to lift her or she pecks us, when i do lift her up she just flops all fluffy to the ground, i thought she was ill but put up a fight when i got her outside, squawked abust at me and ran back to her book......Broody??? whats my options? (no cockeral)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 07:30:07 pm »
You're in the same boat as me.....

We have no cockerel. A cockerel is not required for a hen to go broody. Some breeds get broody more than others (Silkies are famously broody, Rhode Island Reds not so).

If you want chicks then you could purchase fertilised eggs online or from someone nearby and put them under her which is what I am planning to do this time.

Last time this hen (I suspect it's the same one) went broody we got some fertilised eggs for her to sit on but I think it was too late in the year (November), we were pretty clueless - and nothing came of them. She sat and sat and eventually got bored and was delighted to be let out of the broody coop....... Now - we can't get her to settle back in there again :-( and she's sitting tight in one of the main coop nesting boxes which is about 18 inches from the floor....... not a good height for a chick I suspect!...... but our one attempt to move her to the broody coop (a large rabbit hutch) didn't go down well (bad memories from last time???) and so I'm waiting until perhaps she's a bit more "set" before trying again........

If you don't want chicks then there are various suggestions on the forum from time, nature, dipping bottom in cold water etc etc.......
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS