Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: fruit and veg  (Read 8652 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
fruit and veg
« on: March 17, 2012, 08:21:20 pm »
ive now managed to scrounge waste fruit and veg from shops etc i wondered if theres anything pigs shouldnt eat, i know too much of anything isnt good but this week i have a sack full of sprouts and a sack full of bannanas i know bannanas are ok but what about the skins..... i know potatoes need boiling  how about onions,,,, anything else i should watch out for

robert waddell

Re: fruit and veg
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:09 pm »
banana skins they Will eat
sprouts they will fart and stink
potatoes if you want to waste money boiling just fire ahead  try boiling a rotten tattie they love them unboiled
if they are hungry they will eat onions but onions can cause mouth ulcers and at the slaughter house can resemble foot and mouth     Chile's are a bit hot :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 09:35:08 pm »
did u see in practical pigs - u cant feed veg if u bought it from tesco, only if u get it from a greengrocer - this is after the "icecream eating" pig foto.
i bet if u roasting the onions for half hr, u wouldnt get ulcers. wouldnt like to downwind tho...lol

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:34 am »
The books say that eating any quantity of raw spud interferes with absorption of protein, ie, reduces the feed value of the hard feed or other protein source you do give them, so if there's quite a bit of spud it maybe is worth the time and cost to cook it.

Quote from: The Newcastle Document
Cooking the potato increases its energy value by 40%, but is not always economic.  The cooking process ... inactivates the anti-nutritive factors contained in raw potato which impair protein digestion.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:58:47 am »
parsnip tops can cause blistering around the mouth.

spinach & chards should be fed in small ammounts.

we were given a trailer load of sprouts just before christmas only the kk's would eat them the osb's and lops left the b****y lot.............the cattle got through a few and a friend with every thing from pigs to buffalo used the rest she was blown away with the ammount  ;D

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:56:19 am »
I cook up spuds ( even our peelings) then mix with whatever other veg ( pasta if i buy it cheap) we have and add to their flour mix to make a thick porridge like stuff. If they are lucky the get bits of left over bread and fish ( shells from prawns etc). The OH has a thing for making Key Lime Pie and I even through in the used limes. Pumpkin and butternut squash are their favourite but I ran out of these and walnuts last week. And yes they forrage in theirfield and get pig nuts and eggs for protein.

Lucky you getting free fruit and veg from the shop.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »
I get literally tons of waste fruit and veg. I find my pigs are a bit selective. They go first for (imported ::)) peaches, grapes, apples melons, pineapple, pears and tomatoes. All veg, carrots, swede, brocoli etc. are eaten when no more of the goodies are left.
The sheep though will eat cabbage, carrots, swede, apples and brocoli and the hens love apples, pears, grapes and tomatoes as well as all greens.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 04:53:46 pm »
i got a baby burco boiler from a car boot sale for waxing geese ducks... i wondered if i bung everything in that for a while it would help with digestion. like a chunky soup water and all...

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 05:09:41 pm »
When I got my mangalitzas I spoke to the secretary of the mangalitza bit of the BPA. She feeds her pigs raw potatoes and nothing else - based on her word we went out and bought a tonne of pig taters - they steadily and quite happily munched their way through them. Hopefully I'll taste the results tomorrow after I pick them up from Arl this evening ;D

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 05:28:39 pm »
RAW TATTYS AND NOTHING ELSE.... thats goes against other advice given on here.... is it ok for every breed.... how did your mangalitzas do as ime thinking of getting a tamworth x mangalitzas, how did they grow
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 05:31:43 pm by harry »

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 05:38:33 pm »
Harry
Thats a crock of poo, take verything you hear & read with a dose of common sense! i very much doubt those mangas were raised on JUST raw spuds as mangas are notoriously slow to fatten and need some protein based feed ie nuts to get them to weight, so don't even think about it for your pigs! On average you ned 4lb of fruit and veg to replace 1lb pig nuts so bear that in mind, i tend to think of freebie food as a supplement but if you're getting enough of it by all means replace some nuts but not all. Use YOUR common snese in this matter.
HTH
Mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 05:46:04 pm »
if it is the person  i am thinking of  i heard she was feeding barley with them as well   but mangas are meant to be fat
grass eating pigs     tattie only feeding pigs     what next :farmer:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 05:51:26 pm »
Surely not our mutual friend again..........................
mandy :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:05 pm »
no no no no  :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 06:20:37 pm »
WHOS THAT THEN

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS