Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ticks or lice?  (Read 3335 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Ticks or lice?
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:28:56 pm »
Hi all, my 2 gilts have been really scatching the last day or so. When i gave margaret (10months) a belly rub i noticed half a dozen mini crab like buggers on her belly and under her armpit. 1 was moving through the hair and when i touched it it dug in! They are on fresh ground that had sheep on it last week, and i also picked up some straw from a new place. What are they please, and are they a regular pest, or could they be recent invaders? help  :(

robert waddell

Re: Ticks or lice?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 02:39:48 pm »
you would not like being evicted      :farmer:
have they been jaged for lice and worms :farmer:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 03:08:25 pm »
little one (4months) was injected about 5 or 6 weeks ago when purchased, older one wormed about the same time but not injected or treated for lice

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:18:28 pm »
I removed a tick from our Jack Russell last week never seen them so early on before.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 07:51:39 pm »
With lice I think you'd see the egg cases quite clearly (like big white nits) around their ears/head - I'd give them a jab of noromectin or similar wormer/parasite control just to be on the safe side  ;)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 10:15:43 am »
Hi all, my 2 gilts have been really scatching the last day or so. When i gave margaret (10months) a belly rub i noticed half a dozen mini crab like buggers on her belly and under her armpit. 1 was moving through the hair and when i touched it it dug in! They are on fresh ground that had sheep on it last week, and i also picked up some straw from a new place. What are they please, and are they a regular pest, or could they be recent invaders? help  :(
Mange...... makes them itch like mad and they push free standing huts over any day...... Ivermectin fixes the problem but all pigs including babies must be done.  the huts must also be sprayed as the mange mite lays its eggs in the sand where the pig lies in the hut......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS