Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New kid and bottle feeding  (Read 4946 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
New kid and bottle feeding
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:22 pm »
I've just bought a bottle and some milk powder for when my new little girl moves in.  Pom doesn't produce enough milk for us and her so I thought I would give her a mix of goat and powdered.  Would that be alrgiht, do you think?  I've not bottle fed before.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: New kid and bottle feeding
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:26:49 am »
I'm not an expert so would wait for someone with more experience to come along but my 2 penneth is that goats milk would digest quicker and IF mixed feeding is OK I'd personally give the powdered feed as the last thing at night feed as that would take longer to digest, keeping the kid fuller longer?  I could be wrong  ;)

You will love bottle feeding!! Its such a lovely experience and you do build a great bond with your kid/lamb. My 8 year old gets up every morning 6.30am to feed her lamb with me while I do the other 2, despite me encouraging her to stay in bed she's adamant.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:37 am »
Most experts agree that calf milk powder is best got goat kids.......lamb powder is rather to high in butterft.

I probably..... in the same situation would work on a 50/50 completely.....DON'T give only pwder milk at any one feed,  the kids internals simply couldn't cope with the different makeup  and it will scour badly.

If you have bought lamb powder   don't make up to the strength recommended.... make it a little weaker before adding it to goats milk on a 50/50 basis.

To a certain extent all bottle feeding is done on assessment of the animal concerned...... what works in one situation may not in another !!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:07:00 pm »
You could try and swap the lamb milk powder for calf stuff if you haven't started the bag yet. But if using Lamlac I would make it up a bit dilute, I even do that for lambs. It'll just help to prevent tummy upsets.

Have fun!

My 8 year old gets up every morning 6.30am to feed her lamb with me while I do the other 2, despite me encouraging her to stay in bed she's adamant.

Same here! My younger daughter comes and helps with milking every morning, and both of them will do bottle feeding from now on.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:04 pm »
It's not Lamb milk.  It's an all purpose  suitable for all animals although the instructions give the same quantities for goat kids and lambs.  My plan was to give 50:50 if I have enough milk. I might be able to buy goats' milk from other local goatkeepers and cut down the amount of powder.

I only went to get the bottle but thought, as the Countrywide store is miles from us, it made sense to get some milk as well.

countrywoman

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 07:09:28 pm »
Goat Nutrition sell Caprilac milk powder which - according to their website - is specially for kid-rearing.  I was planning to get some.  Perhaps someone on here knows of it and could advise whether it is a better choice for kids than lamb versions?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »
Yes, 50:50 each time so her tummy gets used to it and isn't swapping about.

You can buy goats milk at the supermarket but it's pasteurised. Might be ok with half real goat's milk. I've fed kids powdered lambs milk for a few days before Ellie took over, they were ok on that too.

When does she arrive  ;D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »
I need to get the goatshed cleaned, which depends on friends as I have a frozen shoulder and can't do heavy work atm.  Then it's just a case of picking her up.  Dying to see her again.  She's so sweet - white with huge droopy ears.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 09:17:47 pm »

You can buy goats milk at the supermarket but it's pasteurised. Might be ok with half real goat's milk. I've fed kids powdered lambs milk for a few days before Ellie took over, they were ok on that too.

is there a reason why people dont feed supermarket goats milk? or is it just price?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 09:36:08 pm »

is there a reason why people dont feed supermarket goats milk? or is it just price?

I think the homogenisation is not doing it anything good... but I am not sure.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 11:26:51 pm »
In any case, it doesn't taste the same.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 04:01:09 am »
Price plus it's pasteurised. Goats milk is naturally homogenised, that's how it comes out  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS