Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: creep and grass - orphan lambs  (Read 4817 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
creep and grass - orphan lambs
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:46 pm »
Basically they don't seem to know what to do with either. 2 weeks old yesterday and showing no interest yet. is this normal? do I have to get Mr Plums to get on his hands and knees and chew grass to show them what to do as their mother would have?
I've run their creep trough adjacent to the adults trough in the next field so they can see how the grown up lambs eat their teaspoon of ewe nuts that they are only having in order to teach Lewis, sam and shawn.  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: creep and grass - orphan lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 02:58:20 pm »
I find they that get there in the end. I feed hay when inside and still getting milk. They take a few days to work out that the creep feed is good.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:36:48 am »
Their general inquisitiveness will lead them to try the creep feed, hay and grass eventually. 

How much milk are you giving them?  Split into how many feeds?  If they have full bellies most of the time, they'll be less inclined to mooch on at other options!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 06:57:04 am »
How much milk are you giving them?  Split into how many feeds?  If they have full bellies most of the time, they'll be less inclined to mooch on at other options!
I said this to hubby yesterday! it makes sense doesn't it?
they are onto 3 bottles of 450mls (lamlac until puffin produces some milk for me!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 05:03:27 pm »
I have a cade hes 3 weeks old and not interested in hay grass or creep, only because hes spoilt on milk, i have as you say started to reduce his milk and he will take creep eventually.
My two from last year where the same

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 05:04:57 pm »
these have started to nibble hay and grass but not creep yet, its a start  :thumbsup:

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:00:39 pm »
No rush   :thumbsup:

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:26:28 pm »
When you see them eating a lot of creep reduce the milk as you can give them bloat. I try to spread their feeds a little more each time so they will go to creep to fill up eventually you can cut a milk feed out, then reduce the milk some water it down some like me just cut it out altogether.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 08:54:04 pm »
When you see them eating a lot of creep reduce the milk as you can give them bloat. I try to spread their feeds a little more each time so they will go to creep to fill up eventually you can cut a milk feed out, then reduce the milk some water it down some like me just cut it out altogether.
That is really helpful - thank you so much, makes perfect sense  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS