Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Dill and cucumber  (Read 2207 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Dill and cucumber
« on: March 15, 2012, 04:02:45 pm »
Just had a txt from DH saying that we need to grow a dill plant in the same gro-bag as the cucumber.

Any ideas why?

I tried googling it but all I can get is recipes for tzatziki and dip...... maybe that's why.....
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: Dill and cucumber
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:45 pm »
they do go very well together, but i have never heard of them as companion plants. might give it a go though!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

deepinthewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 06:20:26 pm »
thats a new one for me too, ill dig out my culpepper, see if it follows the doctrine of the signatures...

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:53 pm »
thats a new one for me too, ill dig out my culpepper, see if it follows the doctrine of the signatures...

cool!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 09:09:02 pm »
The most comprehensive list of companion planting is on Wiki. Search on "companion plants" and on "list of companion plants".

Dill repels aphid,  spider mites, squash bug (?) and cabbage looper. I think the last two are Americanisms.

The dill needs to be planted in with the cucumber as it also attracts Tomato horn worms so cannot be planted near tomatoes (which - realistically - will be being grown probably in the same tunnel/greenhouse as cucumber). I grow my cucumber in separate bags to the poly beds that the tomatoes are in so that's no problem.

Spider mites thrive in hot dry conditions - such as might be found in a polytunnel in the summer - and puncture the plant cells to feed. Under ideal conditions a single spider mite can spawn a million mites in a month. Squash bugs love cucumber as do cabbage looper caterpillars.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:18:26 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS