Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pig sick  (Read 3173 times)

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
pig sick
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:20:46 am »
Can anyone tell me how long you should rest the land before getting more pigs, the area of woodland I've got is about 40 meters by 9 meters, I have 2 osb weaners if they are slaughtered in October will it be ok to get 2 more weaners next spring to put on the same patch of land.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: pig sick
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:03 am »
A lot depends on  :  will you worm your pigs before slaughter.  What state the land is in next spring, has it regrown well.  Ideally it should have 6 months rest. 

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 06:51:05 pm »
Agree with HM. If you have the weaners wormed before you collect them and only keep them for 5 months,then the land/pigs should be ok. I think (someone put me right) that you don't worm for one month before slaughter and that the worming injection lasts 4 months. The butcher/abbatoir will check the liver for worms and let you know.
With a 40 x 9 area,you could partition it into two 20x9's leaving one area free from pigs from mid-August onwards,giving you enough time to rake it down and reseed. I nearly got caught out by the weather last year,but managed to get it reseeded and just about established to over-winter.....Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:15:53 am »
Sounds about right Ree, only as we use an oral wormer we would worm 6 weeks before slaughter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS