Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: just found this  (Read 3664 times)

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
just found this
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:03:57 pm »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/9589589._I_ll_shoot_next_time___sheep_farmer_warns_dog_owners/
this is our farmer friend who had loads of trouble with getting dogs on his land. the bloke in picture is just his brother in law.

Sandy

Re: just found this
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:14:41 pm »
The farmer here has been known to shoot dogs so we keep wellllllll away!!!

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:49 pm »
well its only common sense i think for people to stay away from sheep with dogs off the lead. with exception to a dog working the sheep theres no need for dogs to be off lead  i think. id love for a dog to go into a field with cows and see how long it lives when it gets kicked and trampled. a nice british blue  bull .

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:25:44 pm »
We were warned when we first moved up here, the farmer can take a pot shot if the dogs are off the lead and not near his sheep so we do not take any chances!!!!! I used to go down a dis used train line but there are field along the track and you never know when the fields will contain sheep, although one farmer used to put warning signs up before you got near his field and I think thats a great idea, people do not awlays think of things like that, I do so keep to the forest!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »
When we had our farm up North we had sheep and cattle on it and took the 8 dogs through the fields with us for their daily walk.  None of them even looked at the animals, but the cattle were very interested.  If we had been strangers to the beasts we'd have worried but as they knew us it wasn't a problem.  As a result my dogs were all used to sheep, but  although the dogs I have now are trained for shooting they haven't had the training the previous ones had so I would always be careful.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:46:18 pm »
I have 3 lovely dogs and they never run loose  :-\ They have 31ft extended leads and get walked several miles a day. I cannot have my dogs running loose in fields where my neighbours may have livestock whilst not wanting loose dogs in mine. Many people let their dogs off leads in our woods....and then are surprised when I meet them at the top of the public footpath where it enters our home field with their dogs on bits of baler twine.....Dogs must be kept on leads!
My eldest son is a ranger for the National Trust and at this time of the year dogs are the bane of his life on the estate he works......last week dog walkers cut the stock fencing to get their dogs through.....and his sheep nearly got out! He found a lady walking through his sheep with a collie off a lead and when challenged her startled reply was ' well he is a collie' ::) ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »
i know of a friend who had a gun dog was always off lead  local farmer was working on his land and called his dog   friends frien was walking his dog in fields oppersite and farmer called his own dog with the very same whistle  my friend used on his dog so the dog runs to farmer and as sheep in field  ran dog over. my friend got a call and he flew down there and over reacted but in all fairness i would say both parties would be in the wrong. the bloke in the picture loves to get into photos he is on the local vets web page now with a lamb with a broken leg. was also in a famous picture from the falklands war. the long yomp and there is one guy with a union jack flag on antenna i think.  that was him.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »
we had a dog loose in our field for the first time 2 days ago.  Where we are situated its incredibly hard for the public to access our land so it was quite a shock.  He was running with my older ewe lambs who were panicked, he came at the bottle lambs who are only 2 weeks old - at this point hubby (who is not over confident about dogs but forgot his fears this day) jumped the fence and chased the dog up the hill.  THe owner was in a world of her own "lalalala" mooching about other side of the fence, hubby has informed her what we are entitled to do if her dog enters our land again. PUffin the pregnant goat was in a state and took some calming too.
Our fences are all well maintained but this dog had literally climbed/jumped the 5ft fence at the top to get in - owner hadn't noticed... 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS