Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vorwerks  (Read 1911 times)

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
Vorwerks
« on: March 10, 2012, 03:03:27 pm »
Has anybody kept them, the reason I ask is that we've had 2 die on us - a young cockeral last Autumn and a young hen that had just started laying yesterday. Neither of them seemed ill, none of our other hens have been unwell (or have died over the winter) - are they not especially hardy or is it just bad luck with the Vorwerks.
We are very disappointed as she was our only hen and we are struggling to find more to build up our flock of them (typically we have two young cockerals) - who both seem fit and well. Have you had any success in breeding them or should I give it up as a bad job and try a different breed?

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Vorwerks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »
Ahhh ....sorry. No experience of this breed at all but it could just be bad luck.

Think coming into lay can put a hen under some stress and I guess any weaknesses may show themselves then but in small numbers hens can die from no apparent cause. I think I read that they were a good breed to keep. Maybe buy in some new hens from different stock just in case they were inbred or had some genetic fault.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 10:14:19 am »
Hi,

bad news about your birds. I also think that you were just unlucky. As a particularly rare breed its possible that limited breeding stock has resulted in an inherited defect so if you buy some more you could try another breeder. If the birds were in good condition over the winter, well fed and well cared for then the winter shouldnt be the cause. If they free range then its possible that they could have picked up something that they shouldnt.

I breed Croad Langshans which are also very rare and like the vorwerk, suffered a serious decline after the second world war. I have also lost birds in similar circumstances with mystery illnesses which were probably suffering the same weakness.

My suggestion would be to buy in some fertilised eggs from a couple of different breeders and try again. Chicks hatched early in the year have more vigor so may be more robust than the last ones.

Buffy :)

I

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:02:40 am »
Hi reedos I keep Vorwerks and they do just fine, no sudden deaths here.
Whereabouts in the country are you?
I may be able to help with stock or hatching eggs

reedos

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Barton Upon Humber
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:35:14 pm »
Hi, I'm in North Lincs.

OK guess I've just been unlucky! I'll give it another go ;D

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:40:10 pm »
Hmm bit far from me, I'm in Shropshire but I could post eggs or if you want to collect birds/eggs let me know!  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS