Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: reproductive problems??????  (Read 4249 times)

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
reproductive problems??????
« on: April 02, 2009, 03:17:42 am »
I just bought a boar and he is having some issues. He is around 225lbs -250lbs so he should be mature enough to breed but

he rides the gilt that is in heat.... but will not extend his penis out of the sheath to breed her. He rides her and chases her around to breed ................but will not

??? ??? ??? ??? ???

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: reproductive problems??????
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 08:28:14 am »
If no one else can help, you could always try ringing Rebecca Loos.......I think she has a little experience in this field  ;D

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:50:14 am »
thanks for that sos, I just spat my coffee all over the place laughing. :D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:26:43 am »
1.  How old is he?

2.  Is he muscled or fat?

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 02:02:53 pm »
I'd say he's pretty close to the age of my gilts ( approx 6 months old)

he is a berkshire breed (so a fattier breed ) but he appears to be well mussled/

Thanks

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:28:07 pm »
First off I’d take him away from your Gilts for a few more months it's not advisable to be breeding them this young. I would wait until they are at least 9 or 10 months of age.

Give the boar a little more time as well as he will only just becoming into maturity. (this may be the reason he can't get it up)!

You will probably find that by seperating them for a few months, your problem will have solved it's self!

BB

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 03:38:46 pm »
I agree with Billy B.  He is too young. 

Pentre1230

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:17 pm »
Firstly, you boar is far to young if he is only that weight, he needs to be at least 10 months of age, you do not want the boar to "overstretch" himself at such a young age as it will put him off for the future. Dont let him become overfat or to lean to work, its a fine line getting him just right.

Don't run him with your gilts, let him be in a pen near your gilts so he can either see them/hear them/smell them, he will bring your gilts on and also will make him more keen to work. Take the gilts to him in his pen and let him serve them in his domain.

Sometimes very rarely the sheath is to tight and the penis cannot extend out, if this is the case, its a job for your vet to cut the sheath or have him culled.

Higgins11

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 01:35:42 pm »
Hillerysmom

don't you run your boar with your sows all the time? I thought i read on an earlier post

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:10:41 pm »
I did, no longer have a boar, have cut back considerably in the past few months.  Our boar would cover a sow and stay with her until it was time to move him in with another sow, this saved having to pay out for a companion for him. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS