Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping out foxes  (Read 7887 times)

Smalltime

Keeping out foxes
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:30:12 pm »
How high does the fence need to be and how far do you dig it into the ground to keep out foxes? Thanks.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Re: Keeping out foxes
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:51:52 pm »
There are as many ways to try and keep foxes out as there are foxes. We use a combination of heras type fence panels and electric fencing to keep ours safe at night. During the day they free range and we have had the odd loss but touch wood since we put an electric wire around the bottom of the pens nothing has got in there.

Smalltime

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:20:56 am »
Ok, its only for their daytime run, I was thinking about 5 foot high and dig in about a foot. I don't want to be worrying if I am out the house for the morning/afternoon. The electric fence is a good idea, I can incorporate that and turn it on if I am out.  :thumbsup:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »
I had electric fencing. The foxes jumped over it, killed all the poultry and jumped out again. I now have about a third of an acre done with deer fencing, not dug in but turned out for about a foot and pegged down. The grass has grown through it and secured it. Also, I have barbed wire at the bottom and at intervals to the top which has another strand of barbed wire. (touching wood!) I haven't lost a bird since :chook: :chook:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:12:22 pm »
Fencing: About 6ft high. Use good quality small gauge wire fencing, not chicken wire. Dig in at least 6". Don't forget to concrete the area under the gate. Put a strand of electric wire about 12" from the ground around the exterior of the fence. Always lock the birds inside their henhouse at night. Nothing is truly fox proof.

:chook:

Arabus

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 06:58:21 pm »
I had a fox take a broody hen out of my back garden, over the 6ft high wooden fence once, I would recommend a net over your run if possible  :wave:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
I did the net roof thing many years ago when I started out - never again. Fox got in and the birds stood no chance as when they tried to fly out they hit the net and went straight back in again.

My best fence was 8ft high. If it's turned outwards at the top (appx 40 deg), so much the better.

:chook:

Smalltime

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:29:11 pm »
Thanks for replies, I also emailed a forum member who has been really helpful in his reply about electric fencing. Thanks Chris. There is also a downloadable .pdf on Rutlands site specifically about fox proofing which shows you how to construct the electric fence which I found helpful. I am going to construct the electric fence around the chicken fence, outside of it seperately as suggested. There are a lot of badgers very close by as well, a big set. I think an electric fence with at least 1.5joules output is going to be necessary and the cheapest way seems to be (ebay?) a second hand Rutland and wire to posts (around run). I only want to do it once really so I want to make sure it is as safe as it can be before getting any poultry. I am also just going to leave it on all the time now. Going to cost a bit more than planned but it will be worth it in the long run I think. 
Now I have been told by my neighbour (old boy, really nice chap), my rabbit proofing round the vegetable plot I have put up this week is great - but have I thought about the deer?  ::) Most of it up there is surrounded by a thick wall of blackthorn but clearly more work to do  :censored:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:22 pm »
Hi Smalltime. Just to qualify the chicken net is fixed inside the posts and the electric conductors outside the posts alternating live and earth so they can't climb up it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS