Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Adolescvent goat getting agressive  (Read 5036 times)

Mush4brains

• Joined Apr 2009
Adolescvent goat getting agressive
« on: April 01, 2009, 07:28:23 pm »
I have 2 goatlings, about 11 months old.  They arrived with me, suddenly and accidentally, at Christmas.  They aren't too big but are horned.  One is becoming aggressive when I try to leave them, headbutting me hard like she means it. 

Please could someone tell me how to deal with this behaviour.  Her sister is no problem at all.  They were both hand-reared and are of mixed breed.

I have no intention of parting with them, have built them a new house and they have their own paddock.  I am scared of her and don't want to spend the rest of her life darting in and out of her paddock worried about what could happen. 

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Adolescvent goat getting agressive
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 08:20:23 pm »
She needs to learn you're boss, she is obviously the top female. I would put her on a collar for a few days and every time she does it you have to tap her nose.
Its a respect thing!! Nearly all animals have a "pecking order" and she needs to learn she is secondary to all humans. Have patience and don't be frightened!!
Good luck

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 08:49:25 pm »
Another suggestion - and I have done this.  Wear thick jackets and trousers just in case she gets you, but "ukag0972" is right you need to teach her that you are 'Alpha bitch' as I call myself with three real bitches to control in my house.  All animals are the same - they try to be top one in any pack.  You must not show her you are frightened.  If you need to take someone else in with you when you are in their pen or paddock.  Take away any privileges she may have till she responds.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »
They are exactly right. It doesn't often happen to us, except sometimes with the males thinking they can better us. Females who haven't kidded can often become that bit more aggressive though if they want to be top of the heap. When she does it, coup her over, and sit on her. Best way to coup is stand on one side of her and pull the front leg furthest away from you in towards you. This will put her off balance, and your hand on her shoulder will tip her over. As soon as she's down, kneel or sit on her so that she can't get back up until you let her. I've never done that with a female, but I have with males- especially when they're between a year and 18 months old as thats when they're most uppety.

Beth

Mush4brains

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:48:17 am »
Thank you to all of you for the advice.  I shall march in there looking like the Alpha Bitch I really am!  It works with the dogs, of which I have 5 rather large ones, so I refuse to be daunted by a junior goat. 

I'll report on how it goes. 

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 02:21:21 pm »
If you are worried by her horns......get 2 tennis balls and cut a criss cross on with a stanley knife. apply to horn ends when handling her.

If undesirable behaviour take a piece of blue alkathene pipe or stout stick with you. tap her smartly under the jaw or across the knees if she goes for you.....just as you would with an aggressive ram. DO NOT tap on front of face or head as that is a challenge and she will become more aggressive.....and she has horns!!!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS