Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Housing advice needed  (Read 6238 times)

roger352

• Joined Mar 2012
Housing advice needed
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:41:44 am »
Hi

This is my first post on this forum.

Myself, wife and young son are about to start on the hard but good life, we are about to buy 5 acres in the SW, regester as a smallholding and apply for temp dwelling planning permission.

We don't fancy living in one of those holiday caravans for 3 years or so, what we are looking at is a log cabin has anyone had experience of one of these?. Can you lease these until you get full dwelling planning permission?.

Any help would be grateful.

Roger

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Housing advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:28:30 am »
Please dont think cause you own the land you can live on it , even in a caravan. I would just ring planning and find out but dont hold your breath.   
  By the way, hi,  :wave:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:31:03 am by Hermit »

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:39:59 am »
I think you would need planning for the log cabin as it is a permanent structure. They are very nice, I'd forget the house and just go with one of those ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:07:02 am »
There is an article in "Smallholder" magazine this month about using alpacas to get planning permission. The website is www.wellground.com

Also an advert for Rural Log Cabins www.rural-log-cabins.co.uk - they are transportable buildings and the company deal with planning issues.

Good luck! And do let us know how you get on  :thumbsup:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »
As far as I am aware you need need permission for both a log cabin and a caravan.

Contact your planning office and clarify with them - they are the people you will be dealing with and you don't want to get on the wrong side of them.

Tread carefully with anyone trying to sell you anything (log cabins), they will make their product sound very appealling and tell you how easy/friendly/permissible they are. Don't part with any money until you have something in writing from the powers that be. Only the planning office can say for certain if they will allow it, and theirs is the letter of authority that you need!

Sounds harsh, but be aware that getting planning is VERY difficult, no matter what ruse you put it under. The planning office have heard it all before.

:farmer:

Smalltime

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »
Interesting article Smalltime, thanks.  Yes can confrim that planners can be like a brick wall - if you dont fit into their 'plan' pepare for a long battle or a NO.  We very nearly bought a house that had planning permission for a another dwelling on one of its fields - the permission had lapsed by 2 years so we requested a meeting and it emerged that the local [planning objectives had changed and they were quite adamant that they would never re grant dwelling permission for that field.  And some of our neighbours are trying to go down the alpaca route, but no joy so far. 

Saying all that, sometimes taking a chance is the only way you can afford to have a go at something so good luck!  When we were contemplating the build/holiday let idea - I entertained many a daydream about these...
http://www.boutiquemodern.co.uk/

Still do, actually - but the daydream usually starts with winning the lottery and then ends with me telling myself to be happy with what I have!!!!! (Yes even the threadbare 70s swirly carpets and rusty bath!)

roger352

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:03 pm »
Thank you for all your replies, but we have lost the land someone bought the whole 30 acres we were just after a small 5-8 acres. We are going to keep looking for more suitable land in the S.W.

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »
Roger

No guarantees on anything in life, never mind planning, but if you want something viable, suggest you look at least above 5 ha (12.5 acres?) as it has permitted development rights for agricultural premises. At least it starts you with an opening for a business, more than bare land can. Also look for land which is less scenic, not SSSI etc. The fewer 'brick walls' you have the better.  I really think a property with an aoc can be a more viable route (just needs one person in'agriculture', and anyway many people try to get round it).

One thing I would also consider, is buying a village house with a large garden and rent some land nearby for any livestock. My daughter is same age as your son and misses her schoolmates and feels left out. Probably not so bad if not an only child.  My ideal would have been half the land closer to or at edge of the village. Saves fuel/milage as well. Lots of downside to the rural idyll....
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:28 pm »
Yes that was our compromise smudger - we have an Agricultural worker clause and 2 dirty great big runs of pylons running over our land and through the valley.  Neither give us any bother, but brought it just within our reach.  Good luck on your search Roger...

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 08:55:03 pm »
Roger

There is a very good book called to 'Field to Farm' which gives details on a how to go about living on your land whilst building up a farm enterprise....not for the faint hearted....but then when you want a competitive price on a good quality timber mobile home.....give me a call!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS