Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Harrowing  (Read 15637 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Harrowing
« on: March 12, 2012, 11:48:03 pm »
When would you consider harrowing your grass?
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Harrowing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:56:30 am »
When the harrow is delivered at the end of the week  ;D

Our grass was undergrazed last year (and many years before) so lots of thatch plus piles of dung from cows and ponies (plus some pretty big sheep lumps as well) so we'll start harrowing right away. It's dry here, of course, so if it stays that way we'll be able to get on. If it was wet, we wouldn't take machinery on to the land.

I plan to harrow each paddock once we move stock off it, to break up and spread the dung.

We've bought a spring tine grass harrow - the tines are adjustable so that you can just do the dung or you can give the grass right good going over.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47:51 pm »
Do you have to harrow if you only have sheep on the land? I thought that their dung might be small enough not to harrow.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:40 pm »
Hmm, some of my sheep's piles are a fair size but that apart, harrowing with a tine harrow also helps to remove dead grass, thatch and moss, which are problems for us at the moment.

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 09:26:33 am »
what make of harrow did you buy rosemary :farmer:

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:34:29 am »
Many farmers view grass harrowing as recreational obsession and an unnecessary waste of fuel, others swear that it improves pasture and breaks up cow pats and flattens mole hills etc. Take your pick.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:55:41 am »
For a fact, it breaks up dung and flattens molehills. I did a bit with a rake yesterday and had that effect but have neither time not inclination to do 10 acres in the same way  ;D

All I can say is that we did our lawn with a scarifier, which is the same process, and the improvement in the grass was incredible.

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 12:02:17 pm »
harrowing causes the grass to tiller therefore you get more grass it also drags out the dead thatch allowing air into the soil  it spreads the mole hills and dung  and allows you the opportunity to see your field all over
if you don't harrow  you get less grass and the possible damage to machinery in harvesting that grass and listeria caused by soil being present in the conserved grass      to me it is a faulse economy  not to harrow :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:27 pm »
Jings, Robert, I think I agree with you  :thumbsup:

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:28:49 pm »
all farming activities are recreational/therapeutic/calming  that is why every body wants to be one
it is only when you have death and have to interact with others  that it is a strain :farmer:

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:49:35 pm »

When the ground is firm enough to take the weight of the machinery.

:farmer:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 06:35:05 am »

When the ground is firm enough to take the weight of the machinery.

Ha, there speaks someone else with wet land  :wave:
I have promised my mum I will go with her to an event on Sat - but it's been dry(ish) all week and really I should get onto the fields and cut the seaves and harrow.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:59:03 am »
I'll keep  asking  my Neighbour and when he stops looking at me agast (as he did last week) I will know it's time!!! ;D.  Way too wet here at monent (Bala).  I think it was about April last year.  So many mole hils to flatten.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:42:27 am »
Bone dry here - could do with some rain, but not until we've harrowed.

Actually there's a wee problem - the tractor we're getting on loan, with a view to purchase, is in a shed behind a neighbour's combine and the combine won't start  :( Not the sort of vehicle you can push downhill and bump start  ::)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 08:29:28 pm »
Oh i love harrowing  :love:  its my favourite thing. off i go in the terrano with the ol harrow behind, as long as i got me tunes, a pack a fags and some pop, i ll go for hours  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS