Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hoping to get my chickens soon - advice needed  (Read 1981 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Hoping to get my chickens soon - advice needed
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:03:51 am »
The chicken coop should arrive on Tuesday then I need to put it together. I also have a book arriving the same day that I will read through before I get the chickens.

The chicken coop has a run with it so my intention would be to keep the chickens in the run for a few days but long term I want to let them out into a larger enclosure that already has two geese and two ducks. Will this work ok?

thanks
Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Hoping to get my chickens soon - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:39:52 am »
That sounds just fine  :)
What sort of chickens are you getting?

I have a light in my coop which helps get the chickens to take themselves to bed and also keeps them laying for longer into the winter - can you run electricity to yours?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 09:05:41 am »
Jaykay,
I am thinking of taking the easy option and starting with 3 Warrens.  I was going to get 6 birds of 2 or 3 varieties but having read Rosemary's advice will get some others later so that they don't all grow old together.

There is an electrical source not too far away but leave the technical stuff to the OH.  I will definitely suggest what you have said about the light though.

thanks fro the advice

Sally
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:43 am »

Hi Sally,

A light is useful if you want to keep your girls laying through the winter. We just give ours a break though, as it just feels more natural. If you do install one, you'll want it to come on before sunrise rather than after sunset (that would mess with their little brains too much, since every time they went to bed it would get light again).

Also, Rosemary's advice is sound re not having all your birds growing old at the same time. However, chicken politics is pretty brutal at times, and introducing new members to the flock can also be tricky. Swings and roundabouts there, but it's best you know both sides.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »
Sounds great - we've been so happy with our Warrens (we had 2 at POL and then got another 4 ex batteries which have recovered fantastically.  We dont have a light and the 2 POLs have carried on laying all through winter - the ex batts have been a little more sporadic but are fully in the swing now (they came in Novemebr, so it must have been a bit of a shock being outside after a couple of weeks settling in).    But they almost seem not to be able to help themselves - one of the exbats, layed in the crate on the way back from picking her up!!  I'm feeling like a few differnt varieties now  - having 2 coops has worked very well for us in integrating new birds (so the old hand freernagers can make frinds a bit before the newcomers are let out.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS