Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Apple tree mulching plan  (Read 2794 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Apple tree mulching plan
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:47:27 pm »
I am planning to mulch the apple trees properly this year.

To start with I have put some wire netting around to stop the chickens scratching all the mulch away (which is what they did last year  :-\)

Then I plan to put down some chicken manure pellets and then cover that with some gone-over haylage leaving a 6 inch clear ring around the base of the trunk to avoid damp/rot/mold.

Do you think that's a reasonable approach?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

deepinthewoods

Re: Apple tree mulching plan
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:49:47 pm »
im not sure about the pellets, arnt they high in nitrogen? i would have thought you need high potash fertiliser, maybe wood ashes?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »
Good old FYM would be good.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 06:55:15 pm »
I used pelleted chicken manure covered in a layer of garden compost for many years and my trees were always laden with fruit. Since I have had the chickens I just use the compost which has been enriched with their droppings. I used FYM one year and it seemed to be just as good as the other two methods.

The important thing is to have a really thick layer of compost so that weeds and grass don't grow through it. I only leave a 2 inch ring around the base of the trunk and haven't had any problems.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:41 pm »
im not sure about the pellets, arnt they high in nitrogen? i would have thought you need high potash fertiliser, maybe wood ashes?

is wood ash good for fruit trees then?
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS