Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rats  (Read 13086 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: rats
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »
The Fenn trap is legal. There are however legal requirements for their use. They must be covered, as in a tunnel which stops birds (or our chickens) stepping on them. If the tunnel is small enough the size of bird that could enter is so small the trap will not spring. I doubt a blackbird could set one off either. Only big rats are heavy enough. They must be checked every day and anything caught but not killed despatched humanely. I accept that being caught by one and not killed outright for any period of time is not humane in itself. But I won't use poison.

The Fenn MK6 has 6" jaws and is an incredibly nasty thing. Break your fingers no problem and is really just for Mink. If it is covered as required by law a fox will not stand on it. But I have been told of poultry keepers nailing Fenn 4's to the top of posts. Buzzards are attracted to the shiny plate and lose their legs, which is highly illegal and extremely cruel. If the practice continues it is probable that snap traps like this will be outlawed.

Crofterloon

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Mintlaw
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2012, 07:52:09 pm »
Fenn trap is a nasty piece of kit, just you imagine yourself caught in one of these traps with you legs mangles crofterloon, you would not be saying then that you liked them  ???. This is cruelty in the worst degree. I wish to make it clear to all reading this post that I am a detester of rats, mink, rabbits, foxes magpies, crows etc but this trap is not nice.

When I said I liked them I should have said I have used them in the past with great success.
I had always believed that the rat was killed instantly as the rats I had caught were caught at the neck.
But after reading your post I think I will be reluctant to use them again.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:23 pm »
My mum's dog was caught in one of these and chewed off his own paw.  It was in a large unfenced garden which backed onto public forest land and the trap was probably baited with meat - which drew in the dog.  The dog was pts - and mum never got over the cruelty of it.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 08:26:17 pm »
As I said in my last post by law they must be covered to stop this sort of thing happening. In effect they need a tunnel over them and I use 45 degree ridge tiles which are heavy enough not to be moved by accident.

Issues can arise with illegally placed poison as well. Unfortunately some people completely disregard laws

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 01:40:55 pm »
Can i just add that if you are using poison and it appears to have worked, don't think that is the end of the matter. Keep your bait boxes topped up as other rats will soon move in to replace the dead ones. My dog kills rats but i've never seen him eat one and i always find bits of mouse from the cats but always whole rats so i don't believe it is a concern that our pets may eat a poisoned rat.

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 02:00:42 pm »
Our two out-door cats (not ferral as soft as anything, love a fuss!) seem to keep our rat problem down. They two are scared of the chooks and even give the little chick a wide berth as little Bannty mum chases them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS