Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Which fencing would you recommend?  (Read 2455 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Which fencing would you recommend?
« on: April 01, 2009, 01:35:23 pm »
Hi there,

Very new, so hope this isn't a silly question!

I have my chicken coop coming next week (chickens following shortly afterwards!).  The 'enclosure' I'm going to keep them is has a post and rail fence with 'chicken wire' (approx 4ft high).  We're around all day, so do you think this will be enough or should I be thinking of electric fencing or something else too?

All answers gratefully received.

Many thanks.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Which fencing would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 02:03:28 pm »
If you are around all day I would be inclined to say leave it at that. depends on what you want to keep out of the run.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 08:39:29 am »
Many thanks Carl.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:11 pm »
absolutly no question about it GO ELECTRIC, my birds are fenced in with the adition of an electric fence, the only year i lost a lot was when i got complacent and didnt connect the fence, lost loads to a fox.... you dont need a full electric fence if you have wire netting just buy a reel of single strand fence wire and do 2, i do 3 trip wires all around the perimeter 1 about 1 foot off the ground and 9 inches away from the fence then 1 or 2 others to form a barrier that no fox can get within 2 feet from the fence. a fox will always dig under any fence but if it cant get near the fence no problem....harry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 09:03:39 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS