Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hept vac  (Read 5302 times)

princesspiggy

hept vac
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:46:21 am »
wer not sure when our lambs are due exactly. if ewes are vaccinated less than 4 wks before lambing - does it matter? or is it just reduced immunity in the lamb?
ta

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: hept vac
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 01:20:56 am »
wer not sure when our lambs are due exactly. if ewes are vaccinated less than 4 wks before lambing - does it matter? or is it just reduced immunity in the lamb?
Yes, exactly.  It takes a few weeks for the antibodies to build in the ewe, so if the lamb is born before the ewe's antibodies have reached maximum levels, then it will get less passive immunity from its mum.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:07:30 am »
So if lambing is spread over 4 (+) weeks I guess the Heptavac should ideally be done in 2 batches. This isn't so much of a problem in commercial flocks but is more of a dilemma in small flocks as there would be a lot of wasted Heptavac.  What do other smallholders do when lambing is spread out?

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:40:32 am »
Hept vac will keep but you must buy the proper applicator for it, when we got oursthrough our vet, you puncture the rubber top and the bottle stays in position, the syringe is 2ml and it is very similar to a drench gun for cattle, inject, squeeze the handle and when released the syringe fill up again, keep it in the fridge till next needed, take out a couple of hours before needed the next time to get it at room temp and do your second dose,this is then when the remainder of the medicine can be disgarded, medicine companies don't tell us to do it the way i have described above, they are only wanting more money from us, the bottle is air tight but remember do not take the bottle from the applicator, no need then to keep pricking it with the needle.
HTH

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:36 am »
So if lambing is spread over 4 (+) weeks I guess the Heptavac should ideally be done in 2 batches. This isn't so much of a problem in commercial flocks but is more of a dilemma in small flocks as there would be a lot of wasted Heptavac.  What do other smallholders do when lambing is spread out?
so long as you keep the bottle in the fridge, withdraw into your syringes from the fridge and do not take the bottle to the animals (ie. keep it cold!) use sterets to wipe the top (or any alcohol wipes i guess) and make sure its in date you are ok.  When you buy it you can also ask the seller to give you one with a nice long shelf life rather than one that's about to expire.  Also make sure the liquid in the ampule/bottle is the same colour and hasn't changed consistency if in doubt.
other option is to find other smallholders in the area (put a note up at the vets?) to see if you can share a bottle.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:12:20 am »
ps. they won't recommend you doing it the above way on the leaflet as a)they need to cover their backs and b)they want more money out of us as Lill says!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:15:48 am »
OMG, is this true. I have been buying a new bottle every time and I have one of those injecting guns  ??? Was wondering how I was going to do all the lambs and then inject them with their second shot a few weeks later without having to buy another bottle. It says on the leaflet it only lasts 10hrs   :o

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:32:57 am »
10 hours once opened with needle holes    it is sealed with the applicator gun :farmer:

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:39:13 am »
Great feedback guys  :thumbsup:
Like wellies, I always thought that once the seal was broken it had to be used within 10 hours.
These manufacturers are crafty - they must be making a bomb on the extra bottles sold.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:40:23 am »
10 hours once opened with needle holes    it is sealed with the applicator gun :farmer:

How does that work then? I would have thought they would act in much the same way?

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:56:48 am »
well I guess that make sense, if it wasn't sealed it would drip out and you don't need to keep pulling the needle out and exposing it to air. I feel a bit daft now but happy that I can save some pennies when vacinating the lambs  ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 11:45:29 am »
My vet was adamanet that it should be used within 10 hours so I am going to tackle him on this point - I have wasted so many shots...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 11:52:17 am »
Vets will generally reiterate the manufacturer's instructions, at least officially. Otherwise they may be held liable if something goes wrong.

lill

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
some vets will demand you get the 2 bottles, why because they get a percentage of the price, we are very lucky to have a vet that does not rip us off and have recommended them to may people who have also recommended them, our vet is very practical and sees no point in buying 2 when 1 will do you, just need to have the proper applicator and keep in fridge until needing to use again.

princesspiggy

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 03:59:45 pm »
thanks
 so if the lambs are born before 4 weeks is up, they will need 2 jabs 4 weeks apart quite soon after birth?
im needing to do the sheep now, and 4 goats, one of whom is pregnant and due anytime, and 1 kid who is 3 weeks old. just do them all?

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS